Sign in to follow this  

Trail bike / 200 lb guy

Hey all,

I'm having trouble choosing between what would be the best suited trail bike for me. I'm 6'2 & 200 lb's. I have some trail riding experience under my belt. I'm kinda leaning towards a Four stroke of some sort. I'm thinking maybe either a

YZ 250F / 450F / Or / WR 250F / 450F. I hear that the wrs are underpowered compared to the YZ's. I'm going to be riding in the Colorado Rockies. Theres some steep trails up there, so i'd like to get a bike I can just tractor right on up it.

All help will be appriciated, thank you.

WR450, power will be ample for yourself and you have the versatility there as you can ride it on the road as well.

it costs quite a bit more to convert a yz for trail use than it does to just buy a WR or any other purpose built enduro/harescramble bike.

just avoid pre 2004 WR450's (that means avoid 2003 WR450's) they have a bad starter that's rather costly to fix, and causes case damage quite often.

personally if I lived up there, I would look at the ktm/gasgas 300 if I did not have to reget all the time, if I had to rejet a lot, I would pick up a husaberg 390/450/570 or a husqvarna TE449/511

Edited by MegaDeTH

I agree that the WR450 would be a good bike. I would disagree with the starter comment. I own a 2001 WR426. It doesnt have elec start, so Im not sure what that comment means. I dont think they put elec starters on the WR until 2007. I have never heard of the WRs having case damage related to the kick starter either. The only bike I ever owned that had those problems was a Husky TE250 that I bought with a cracked case.

I agree that the WR450 would be a good bike. I would disagree with the starter comment. I own a 2001 WR426. It doesnt have elec start, so Im not sure what that comment means. I dont think they put elec starters on the WR until 2007. I have never heard of the WRs having case damage related to the kick starter either. The only bike I ever owned that had those problems was a Husky TE250 that I bought with a cracked case.

I sugest you do some research on the 2003 starter issue, here I'll help

the 2003 was the first year to get electric start, it has a bad design that breaks and tears up the case, it'll sheer the flywheel woodruff key, yamaha did a bullshit fix with locktite, and that stopped the key problem but moved to the next weakest part, sheared starter gears and cracked cases, I had a 2003 that had cracked cases

you can convert it to 2004 parts but it's fairly expensive, your better off with a 2004

if you want to fix a 2003 here's the parts list, I'm not sure if these prices are still current

5TJ-15560-00-00 - Washer - 1 @ $140.20 (This is the Idler Gear Assy/

Torque Limiter)

5TJ-1549B-00-00 - Torque Limiter Cover - 1 @ $19.80 (includes O-ring)

90201-105A8-00 - Thrust Washers - 2 @ $4.96

90380-10002-00 - Bushing - 1 @ $0.54

the older bikes are ok, the 400 has a smaller/weaker connecting rod little end, but they rev fast, I like the 400 engine, the 426 sorted that out, but no button, 2004 is the oldest 450 i would buy, because that has the fixed electric start

I just looked that up and I see that the 2003s had elec start...I thought it was 2007 for some reason.

However, you said to avoid pre-2003 models, which would include only kickstart bikes. If your issue is with the elec start bike, why inform the op to avoid the kickstart bikes?

Ive never had any major problem with my WR, such as described above.

I just looked that up and I see that the 2003s had elec start...I thought it was 2007 for some reason.

However, you said to avoid pre-2003 models, which would include only kickstart bikes. If your issue is with the elec start bike, why inform the op to avoid the kickstart bikes?

Ive never had any major problem with my WR, such as described above.

I specifically said 450's, the older wr's are 426's and 400's and are kick only, they do not have the electric start problems. I dont recommend those either because they are a pain in the ass to start, I owned a 400 for quite a few years, they are cheap though, if you want cheap that's why they are cheap, the prices on used bikes jumps when you hit the 2004 model year

and I need to edit that, it's pre 04 450's you want to avoid, 2003 is the bad year, 2004 and newer do not have that bad starter design

If you MUST get a four stroke 👍 (joking, ....but not really) then I would go the WR route over the YZ if you want a trail machine ( it's just easier) and get the 450. WR450F will give you what you need

I specifically said 450's, the older wr's are 426's and 400's and are kick only, they do not have the electric start problems. I dont recommend those either because they are a pain in the ass to start, I owned a 400 for quite a few years, they are cheap though, if you want cheap that's why they are cheap, the prices on used bikes jumps when you hit the 2004 model year

and I need to edit that, it's pre 04 450's you want to avoid, 2003 is the bad year, 2004 and newer do not have that bad starter design

Well, I agree and disagree with the PITA starting comment. For someone who doesnt know the starting procedure, its almost impossible to start. If the bike is tuned properly and you know the starting procedure, the older WRs/YZs will fire right up. Mine will usually start cold in 2 or 3 kicks. With that being said, its a PITA compared to my KTM 300 XC...and a hell of alot heavier. I love the WR, but Im about to sell it.