Sign in to follow this  

o-ring chain on an 05

hello everyone, the time has finally come to replace the chain on my 05. I am looking to get the renthal gold R3 (the o-ring one) and was wondering if i will have any clearance issues with the cases or chain guide going from a non-o ring chain? thanks again 👍

I just put a new Regina ZRH 520 chain (Z-ring) with new Ironman sprockets (stock gearing) and I see no clearance issues. I have only ridden my bike a few times with this set up but it seems to ride just the same. I did notice going from the DID 520ERT2 chain to the Z-ring chain that I do not have the extra chain noise. This chain seems to me to be quitter but my old chain probably was worn out also. (2005 RMZ 450)

I took off my front sprocket this morning and yes the chain does rub a little bit on the case. I am going to stop up at the dealer tonight and talk to them about this issue. It kind of looks like I could just put a small washer behind the sprocket? but maybe not. I am glad I read your post because now I am concerned about this turning into a bigger issue.

I stop up at the dealer and they never heard of RMZ having this kind of problem. They did have spacers in stock for the CRF( Promoto Billet Countershaft Spacer) for $5 so I figured I would give it a try. The spacer seems to fit just fine. I did have to file of some of outside of the sprocket off to get the snap ring back on. All seems to fit just fine but I haven’t rode my bike yet, probably will this weekend. The spacer did move the chain out just enough the chain doesn’t rub any more.

need the narrow enduro type -DID o ring chain -or it will rub on the case on 08 and up i know for sure. I used the regular size o ring chain and was worried the whole time because i could see it rubbing (just barely)

hmmm, so it looks like it would be a good idea to order a spacer with the chain just in case. ill have to check out the DID chain mentioned in post 5 as well. thanks again for the info!

The spacer did not work it presented a new problem with my sprockets. Just that little bit that the spacer moved the sprocket out made the chain wear on the outside of the sprocket. Being a brand new sprocket I could tell where the chain was rubbing just on the outside. I have to have my things prefect or it bothers me till I fix it. So needless to say I went and bought a new chain, again. DID 520VT2 narrow X-ring and it fits perfect no rubbing, no excess chain noise, and my tire spins much easier than it did with ether my old chain or other new chain had on the bike. Hopefully my buddy with the CRF needs a new chain and spacer because I got a good deal coming up for him.