Sign in to follow this  

Fork Bushings

Im working on a limited budget right now and have around $65-70 to do fork seal replacements. There are kits that have the seals, whipers, and bushings for a little more than I can afford. Are new bushing needed? Mine look to be in good shape for an 01' 250. The only part I need besides the whipers and seals are one of those c clips to hold the seal in. (Bent one yanking it out.)

And any recomendations for a homemade seal driver? I heard pvc piping.

if all the coating is gone off the bushings i'd replace them. i do my bushings every other seal/oil change. you can probably get away with it until next time when u have the funds.

Alright sounds good. I pretty much need these to last until winter. I'll be on 4 wheels in the woods during the cold and snow.

Here's a Pivot Works complete rebuild kit for a 2001 YZ250 from the TT store:

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TR_416930

Check this page, just to be sure I got the correct number:

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Tucker_Rocky_Offroad_2010/default.asp?p=739

It's $67.46 plus shipping. I'm pretty sure the kit includes the snap rings, too.

Make sure you tape over the bushing groove when you install the seals or you could ruin them right away. They make "seal bullets" specifically for this, but a layer of clear packing tape works great and they just slide over. If you put another layer above it so that it is half off the cylinder, then you can pinch it in to a taper and it works even better. Some guys put plastic bags over the groove, too. You just don't want to cut the seals on the sharp corner.

PVC can work for a seal driver. I might have made mine wrong because it didn't work very well... Next time I think I'll invest in a seal driver.

I got oem bushings, seals, and wipers off ebay for $58 about a month ago. Did you check ebay?

I got oem bushings, seals, and wipers off ebay for $58 about a month ago. Did you check ebay?

No I haven't, not much of an "Ebay'r". My bushings looked to be in decent shape so I should be alright. But I made my purchase last night so it's too late. Just got whipers, seals, oil and a c clip. Hopefully I should be riding this weekend.

Cut the old seal in half and use the lower leg to pound it in. Works good

What do you mean cut the old seal in half? Like a half circle? Or just put a cut in one end so It can wrap around the the fork?

Of course it comes to me now since my parts are arriving today. Just realized 2 forks are going to take more than 1 liter of fork oil. 👍 And of course its only by a small amount.

this works good, used peice of pvc, cut in half to pound bushing in, then use old seal to press new seal in, you can also use old seal to see if bushing is seated in far enough by pushing half of it in

Cut them in a half circle. 2 pieces
this works good, used peice of pvc, cut in half to pound bushing in, then use old seal to press new seal in, you can also use old seal to see if bushing is seated in far enough by pushing half of it in

I have a seal driver I cut out of an old fork leg using the lug where the front fender used to mount to to beat on with a hammer (leg was from a street bike)

But PVC works also. As mentioned previously cut the old seal, I leave it in one piece but two works also and use it as a cushion to pound on the new seal, i have used brass punches instead of PVC or whatever. just be careful and take your time. Run the old bushings, unless you plan on competing against Reed, Dungey etc.

Alright sounds good. Now I just got to go and buy another liter of oil to only use 150ml of it.....FML

Alright sounds good. Now I just got to go and buy another liter of oil to only use 150ml of it.....FML

Yeah, that got me too:banghead: Don't worry, now you'll have extra for next time.

Rotate the upper fork legs 45 degrees every few months. This moves fresh bushing surface into the load area so that the wear pattern gets spread around evenly. It will help your fork bushings last a bit longer. 👍

Good idea. Next time I'm not putting my reg sticker on the forks...

Update: The replacement went perfect. I still need to get the extra oil, but for now the bike is rideable.

• Like 1