Sign in to follow this  

What are the differences in different TTR models???

I am looking to buy a TTR 125 for my niece. What are the differences in different TTR models???

TT-R 125 E, TT-R 125 L, TT-R 125 LE

That's kind of what I thought. Thanks for clearing that up. Now I know for sure.

I had a small wheel TTR 125. It wasn't a hard bike to start. A bit cold blooded with a cold start but nothing I couldn't handle and I'm 58 years old, 5'2" and around 120 pounds. I had a chance to trade even up for a big wheel 125L and LOVE IT! I wanted the bigger wheels for trail riding and to increase stability on rough trails. The small wheeled model will make the rider feel every small hole they ride through and I didn't like the way it handled going over even small 3 inch branches I encountered when riding. One glancing hit one day on a log hidden in tall grass had me laid up for 8 weeks with torn knee ligaments. 3 inch limbs are no challenge for the larger wheeled bike.

The Electric start was a bonus and now I'm glad I have it. Having to start on a slope is no problem at all if I stall the bike out and I have to admit that at my age the creature comforts keep me on the trail!

I've been riding the TTRs now for over 3 years and love them. DH keeps trying to get me to get another bike with a little more pep and I keep resisting. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I agree with yammablue22. Even the electric start model is easy to kick start.

Something else good about the TTRs is that they can be lowered nicely for a shorter rider. I think your niece is a lucky gal and will love whichever TTR you get her.

Good luck shopping!

the best part about ttr's, is that when your fancy liquid cooled crfx or wr or whatever, inevitably breaks on the trails, that ttr will still be going, been beating on my little 125 for 5 years now and it just now needs a re-ring, and i changed oil like, rarely on it..

After looking at a few adds on Craigslists, I saw a 2005 TTR125 on that caught my eye. The asking price was around the retail valve, in excellent condition, stated in the Kelly Blue Book. All the other adds I saw were $200 to $500 higher than the KBB in excellent condition. The add stated very low hours and the engine starts and runs great. I called the guy and asked if there were any problems with the bike and if he knew if it was the short or tall model. He said he had no way of knowing which model it was. I asked him to check the tire size. He told me the sizes, so I checked and determined it was the large version model. He said it was his kid's bike and that it has only been ridden 4 or 5 times. He assured me that it was in excellent condition and the only reason they were selling it was because they wanted to buy a four-wheeler. I asked if I could come look at it and that it would take me about three hours to get there. He said he would be there and that I would not be disappointed.

I hauled my trailer over to his place with cash in hand, three and a half ours later and 10 mpg only to find the worst piece of crap bike I had ever seen. It ends up it was not a 2005 but a 2004 instead. The front and rear wheel bearing were way beyond shot. All the rear sprocket teeth were bent way over. The chain way totally shot and the front sprocket was almost a round disk with only a slight resemblance of what were once teeth. The seat was ripped and extremely sun faded. The grips were held on by duct tape. The rear tire was so worn that they looked like slicks. I didn’t even look at the air filter at this point nor did I look at the suspension. I normally look at the air filters on bikes I am about to buy, to see what the previous owner maintenance habits were. I didn’t bother. The bike was filthy too, like it has never been washed. But it did start after about 30 kicks. The spokes were completely loose as well. I asked what he meant when he said it’s only been ridden 4 or 5 times. Now, after my 160 mile trip, he said that his kid rode it 4 or 5 times. I really wish he was honest when I called him and told him how far I was traveling to see the bike. What in the heck was he thinking???? Did he think he had a gold mine??? I was so pissed off but walked away calmly. I told him exactly what I saw wrong with the bike and said that I can not even think about making him an offer. Lesson learned. The next time I will ask the seller for detailed close-up photos of the specific parts I want to see closely. If they don’t agree to doing that, then I will simply pass.

i've got one small wheel i'd sell you, once we rebuild the forks and top end, (and probably some new plastic) but it's quite a distance from indiana to iowa.. but they are beater bikes, and by four or five times he probably only saw his kid ride it four or five times! or it was the previous owners fault..

Mark, I have one worse for you. When I was younger (16, 21 now) I went to look at a 2001 rm125. I was so excited, I had just got a truck and had scraped enough money to buy this bike, that he wanted 2,000 for. So I go look at it and it is as you just described, beat to its end. He claimed it had a new top end and I should just ride it and I would change my mind. So after about 5 solid minutes of us kicking it he finally bump starts it down a small hill. He then proceeded to go full throttle, in the attempt to "warm it up". So once he was done being a goon, I went to hop on and ride down the road. As i shifted into second and goosed it a little, the motor seized, almost throwing me off. I rolled it over to him and told him it broke (he didn't know what was wrong, and I wasn't going to tell him). He callied me and harrassed me for a solid week saying I broke his precious bike and owe him 2000 dollars.

i had a ttr 125 E, and the electric start is what i loved about it, if you fall over, and the bike tips, its a pain to get it fired up again (four strokes), just a few hits of the button and itll fire right up, after you fall, you dont feel like kicking it 10-15 times 👍

Mark6299 and Kazuma I have had some truly nightmarish dealings with Craigslist in the past. Unfortunately you are not alone. Our last hellish dealing made us swear never to sell anything there again. It was unbelievable what we went through and we finally realized we were probably being scammed by a true master. We do occasionally look there for good buys but even they are about as pleasant as having wisdom teeth pulled. People may say they want to sell something, but contact them and they never get back to you, or contact you to inform you that they sold the article last month...well cancel your ad then fergawdsake! We now use forum based garage sales or for sale threads a lot with less problems or we use Ebay where you can just laugh at the oddball responses you get and delete them from your mail box. Even then they can be tricky, like the guy who bought a motorcycle I had listed there plainly marked, No Shipping Available....only to wind up shipping it to him. Grrrrr.....

Sometimes I think I'm the only one who has had problems with such things and then I read the posts here about other people's nightmares and I don't feel so cursed.

There are good bikes out there for sale. I found my first TTR chained to a tree in the owners front yard with a For Sale sign on it one day while out looking at a bike we passed on. The guy had 1400 on it but couldn't get it started. My husband tinkered around with it, kicked it over and it started on the second kick. He pulled out 1000 dollars and the owner said, SOLD! That simple.

It was a great bike!

Mark, I have one worse for you. When I was younger (16, 21 now) I went to look at a 2001 rm125. I was so excited, I had just got a truck and had scraped enough money to buy this bike, that he wanted 2,000 for. So I go look at it and it is as you just described, beat to its end. He claimed it had a new top end and I should just ride it and I would change my mind. So after about 5 solid minutes of us kicking it he finally bump starts it down a small hill. He then proceeded to go full throttle, in the attempt to "warm it up". So once he was done being a goon, I went to hop on and ride down the road. As i shifted into second and goosed it a little, the motor seized, almost throwing me off. I rolled it over to him and told him it broke (he didn't know what was wrong, and I wasn't going to tell him). He callied me and harrassed me for a solid week saying I broke his precious bike and owe him 2000 dollars.

That really sucks. To bad you had to go through that. I have walked away from many bikes politely saying that I would not be interested in making any offers. If asked I would point out everything I notice that was wrong, if obvious. That’s not to say that every bike you buy should be expected to be perfect. I point out thing wrong on bikes I am interested in too to get the price down to a reasonable amount.

I just picked my niece up a 2006 TT-R125LE for $900 the other day. The starter part does not work but that’s ok with me for now. He wanted $1100 dropped from about $1250. I pointed out stuff and offered $1000. He jumped at it. Then I said now let’s start her up and see how she runs. I like doing this if possible. I rode it and came back and told him that the rim was bent. I showed him and the price dropped another $100, so I gave him $900 and took it home. I knew I would buy sprockets and chains, front and rear fender, levers and a few other goodies. I spent about $300 on this stuff and this bike will now be almost like new. Tada.

As a side note, I really hate it when I show up to look at a bike and it has already been warmed up. I try to tell the guy that I am coming to see the bike and not to start it till I get there. If I ask this and I get there and the engine is warm, I walk away. 7 out of 10 times they are hiding something. Like with your experience. Thanks for sharing.

or what you do is you find out in advanced their location and show up and say youre here to buy the bike, doesn't give them a chance! got my little 125 for 600 bucks off fleabay. good 11th bday present, wish my kx65 didn't scare my dad away from 2strokes..

Pictures,Mark. We want pictures!!!

I will post some pictures soon enough. I need to do a couple things first. I need to get the parts I order and put her back together. I did some cleaning. Then I need to figure out how to post pictures on Thumpertalk. Any ideas on how to do that. If not, I guess I will have to do a walkaround with my Hero Gopro and post on Youtube. Give me till say next week.

Finally got all the parts. The last was the new throttle tube. I got it almost all tegether, and will post some pictures soon