Sign in to follow this  

01 vs 02 e cooling system

i have an o1 e and my buddies 02 e run about 20/25 degrees cooler than mine,i know the cooling system is different(inlet outlet on rad.,and hoses)so ? is will the o2 setup cool that much better than the 01.i maintain both bikes and while not a pro(or even close)wrench i'm not too bad,so i know both systems have been flushed,and are full,no air in systems no leaks ect. Riding wise,my buddy is much better than i and the only time this comes up is when were on tight single track so i know everyone will say go faster,but i can only avg.about 10mph in the real tight stuff without taking a dirt nap.And on flatout f.s. roads the 02 is about 10 degrees cooler going 40 mph. and temps were in the high 50s this past weekend so thats not the issue.thanks for any input Ed:ride:

I don't think the systems are any different, probably more to do with shotty temp sensors or placement.

How do you know his bike runs that much cooler?

Do you have an accurate temp sensor on each bike, installed at the same location?

Both sets of radiators in similar, uncrushed condition?

Does it do the same temps when you ride it?

If it is the rider and not the bike, add a fan.

How do you know his bike runs that much cooler?

Do you have an accurate temp sensor on each bike, installed at the same location?

Both sets of radiators in similar, uncrushed condition?

Does it do the same temps when you ride it?

If it is the rider and not the bike, add a fan.

both bikes have trail tech vapors, both sensors are in the top air vent hole,left side radiator,all radiators are in good shape so it sounds like i need to get faster or add a fan,i have never overheated,but i do stop when it get to the 210 range. I have my unit set at 200 for yellow light and 225 for red light thankx for the input Ed:thumbsup:

At slow speeds, 5 mph makes a big differenece. I think the magic number is 15mph.

At 20 mph and you'll never worry.

Fresh oil too, can help keep it cooler.

oil is always clean,i change both every 3or4 rides oil&filter,the 15 mph makes sense as i don't seem to have as much of an issue going down the trail mainly going up as the bike is working harder,i'm not too big at 185 so i think you anwsered my ? i just wondered why they changed the system,and if it worked better,but it sounds like i don't have to go buy new parts i have to get faster on s/t or get a fan.So i'm going for getting faster.thanks again for the help.Ed

IIRC Eddie has said in the past that there isn't really a performance difference (except for the t-stat on street legal variants) in the cooling system changes just different physical ways they plumbed the cooling system to the engine.

thankx romad, as i said above i just have to get faster, mostly on the uphill parts without dumping