Best bike for a mx wussie

Ok I'm 43 yrs of age I currently own a 03 yz250 this is my fourth bike...i've had 96 rm250...yz426...04cr450f...my fav so far. I am 6'1 around 260 I like to mx tracks for just play riding not a racer. I say i'm a wussie cuzz my 03 yz scares the crap out of me.....i'm selling the smoker and i need some advice on a bike which i can handle and wont scare the heck out of me...i was leaning towards the 08 09 yzf's, from what I read they have a very smooth power band, might be right up my alley...i want a bike that will get me jumping again like back in the day..lol. I would like some input from u guys here...maby there is somthing out there i havn't thought of. I do trail ride some but like i said mostly play riding...thanks

I havent ridden any bikes as new as 08-09, but I used to have an 06 kx250f, and It was way easier to ride that my current 250 2t. There are no surprises in the power band and there isn't too much or too little power. I wouldn't go with a 450 because all the power can get out of hand quick. so I would say go for a 250f.

Get a big fat fly wheel weight and put it on your yz 250. Then spend some money on redoing your suspension for heavier weight. Then buy more protection to wear... Then go back out there and have fun!! Actually just the flywheel weight should be good to go ..It will mellow your bike and make the hit much more manageable...?:ride:

I put a 13oz flywheel weight on my 01 cr 250 and it's like night and day..It's way smoother and easy to ride...... and it'll only cost you somethin like $100-$150?

http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/flywheel-weight/yamaha-flywheels/yamaha-yz-250-03-10-flywheel-weight.html

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

well here was my deal, i rushed getting into motocross by buying 250 two strokes! BIG mistake, you go backwards jumping straight onto powerful machines, so i went back to the basics and got a 125 (which for your weight, im not recommending) but basically going to a 250F might teach you the importance of rider input (provided you get sprung for your weight) and will be easier to "jump". Once you get a season or two out of that, you will learn the importance of bike control and smoothly make the move to a 450. ive been on 250F's since 07 and have jumped on 450's with very little problems in control, but at 165lbs i can get more out of the 250F.

I've found that the powerband on older 250 2t's is a bit strong and violent. The newer 250's, especially the KTM's have a much more mellow power hit.

I agree with what was said above about going to a 250 4 stroke, they are a lot easier to ride then any 2 stroke. But at the same time, you can't ring their necks and get that extra speed. They are both very different animals to ride, the 250f will get you out of trouble much easier then the 250 that just wants to spin its rear wheel. At the same time though, the stability of the 4 stroke won't punish your body position in the same way as the 2 stroke. That means, they're a lot easier to ride, especially for beginners. Most of the beginners I see with poor body position are all riding 4 strokes because they can get away with it. Not only that, but you can ride more laps on a 4 stroke because they don't wear you out anywhere near as much.

So yea, a modern 4 stroke isn't such a bad idea. ?

I have a 09 yz450 and what they say about it is true. It is very smooth. I think it is what you are looking for. If you want more power just twist the throttle more trust me the power is there but it does not get out of hand. Yamaha made it that way to have more traction and not just spin the tires like some others will do.

what about a cr250 i've heard that way were kind of down in power maby might be an option...and I already have a 13oz flyww on it and its still a handful. Thanks though for every one help

http://mooseracing.com/catalog.jsp?level1=1756&level2=1782&level3=1784&level4=1804&product_group_id=10635

http://mooseracing.com/catalog.jsp?level1=1756&level2=1782&level3=1792&product_group_id=7339

These 2 things also can help a bunch.

Suspension set up will also make a huge difference so if you haven't gone there that's a good place to go to. A honda cr 250 is not a mellow bike. All mx bikes from whatever company in this category are aggressive . Don't believe the magazines too much. I really don't think getting a 4 stroke 250 is that much easier to ride than a flywheel weighted trail modded mx 250. I think the mellowed out throttle cam and the intake spacer should mellow things a bit.... Mainly I think you just need lots of time riding. Don't be so hard on yourself. ..just ride and enjoy . Try to ride in a higher gear than you are used to and lower in rpm range. You don't need to be in the meatiest part of the power range. You'll be fighting the bike more.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

A close friend of mine has a 2001 CR250 and I don't thinks it's "down on power". It has a pretty good midrange hit that could get you in trouble on a MX track. It's not un-ridable but you would need to take it easy and get use to it for sure. I like the 250 2-strokes over the 250F's but a new rider on MX bike/track IMHO the 250F's are easier to ride. The 250F's aren't faster or funner just easier. Like hawaiidirtrider said you can do things to tame down the 250 2-strokes. Oh and you won't get bored or out grow one that's for sure. Good luck.

How about a KTM 200XC? At your stature, you're going to have to rebuild the suspension on any bike you buy, so you could get the XC set up for MX and have a more mild mannered bike that isn't a huge step down but isn't as aggressive as what you have now.

Just an idea. A 250f might do the trick for you though, but I've found that they are just a little gutless for bigger people.

My personal experience was to go from a 04 CRF450 to an 09 YZ250F. I couldn't be happier. I am 175# but I know guy's heavier than you that ride the same bike. Straight off the 450 it will feel weak but once you learn how to get the most out of it you will have a blast. I could never do more than 7 laps on my 450 or 250 two stroke but I can easily do 15 laps on the 250F. This all adds up to more fun. Just my two cents.