Sign in to follow this  

New to me 03 RM250, few questions **NEW PROBLEM**

Just picked up this bike a few days ago for a good price. It may look familiar to some because it used to belong to a member on this forum.

IMG_20111007_114217.jpg

This bike is fast!!! It is gonna be my new woods bike. In the next few days I am gonna change the oil, get a new airfilter, possibly sand down the grooves in the clutch basket (clutch drags a bit, jut a guess on my part without actually inspecting the clutch yet) and install my hand guards. Is there anything else I need to be worried about with this bike? Did I mention this thing is fast!

Edited by DirtyBikeMike
new problem

Actually route the chain through the chain guide would be a bonus

Good catch.

Bearings good? Brake pads? Top end? I'm guessing you bought it local so jetting is decent?

I bought a bike once with "unknown" hours and was too impatient to do a top end right away like I should have. Took it out and blew it up. Wont ever do that again. I've ignored bearings on used bikes also, and had to do some dremel work to get them out later on. Preventative maintenance is king!

Bike looks great by the way! I'm sure it will be a woods rocket!

Actually route the chain through the chain guide would be a bonus

Missed that one, that is pretty strange. Would make one hell of a racket and not get very far without hanging up I would think.

It wasn't really ridden this way was it?????

As mentioned grease up the linkage. The linkage on these bikes, especially the lower shock bearing go dry quick.

I forgot to mention it needs chain guide. Dont worry it wasnt rode that way.

Figured something along those lines.

I spend most of my time in the woods on my 03. The thing is great, good bottom end for the tight stuff. Like everyone is saying linkage bearings are important, as well as basic motor stuff. As far as making it woods ready, I cant say too much mine is great the way it is (mostly stock). I'm considering stepping up a couple of teeth on the rear though, first can be a little fast through some of the tight stuff, and from what I'm hearing about these clutches being junk I don't like to spend a ton of time clutching if I don't have to.

Enjoy your bike!

I did notice that the clutch was dragging a bit when I bought it. I just checked the clutch today and everything looked great! i was actually suprised how good it looked. the basket did not have any grooves and the plates looked pretty new. the oil was pretty dirty, could this have been the problem?

Oh, I did replace the chain guide. it was completely worn through.

I did notice that the clutch was dragging a bit when I bought it. I just checked the clutch today and everything looked great! i was actually suprised how good it looked. the basket did not have any grooves and the plates looked pretty new. the oil was pretty dirty, could this have been the problem?

Oh, I did replace the chain guide. it was completely worn through.

Clutch drag is just a Suzuki thing... Although I've never found anything better than OEM frictions, I think the Suzuki plates are part of the culprit.

1'st- Run a thin oil, automotive ATF type F will help.

2'nd- Every few hundred miles I remove the glaze from the plates (as you sense the drag getting worse)... take each friction plate and do a few figure eights (lightly) with some ultra-fine sandpaper layed on a hard/flat surface, do both sides... drag gone (for a while.)

3'rd- If your bike doesn't already have one, you'll be installing an aftermarket billet basket soon. Pay attention to notching on the hub too... OEM hubs are only about $50.

4'th- Change oil often... We change every 5-6 hours.

The bike does have an aftermarket basket, with no grooves. the plates were ok, and i am sure the pressure plate was also fine. The only thing I am worried about is screwing up my transmission. When I go to put it in gear, the bike jumps hard. Also, when I had it on the stand with the clutch pulled in the rear tire spun ALMOSt as much as if the clutch was not pulled in. My only concern is the transmission.

When warming up your bike slip the clutch a little to warm it up before popping her in gear. Do this and let it idle right down before the initial putting in gear for the day.

Would Adding another washer between the pressure plate and clutch plates help? I have read some threads on this and it seems to work.

This is going to help if the clutch is slipping but not lurching into gear.

Just picked up this bike a few days ago for a good price. It may look familiar to some because it used to belong to a member on this forum.

IMG_20111007_114217.jpg

This bike is fast!!! It is gonna be my new woods bike. In the next few days I am gonna change the oil, get a new airfilter, possibly sand down the grooves in the clutch basket (clutch drags a bit, jut a guess on my part without actually inspecting the clutch yet) and install my hand guards. Is there anything else I need to be worried about with this bike? Did I mention this thing is fast!

Like Tribal said... skid plate. I don't know about most you guys but I use and abuse my skid plates. They are form fitted aroud my frame rails. :ride:

Do NOT get SX/MX glide plates... get a good old offroad skid plat that protects your cases and waterpump.

Spark arrestor if you don't have one and then ride it.... figureout what you need next. I see you already have hand guards for it. Just go out and enjoy it. 👍

Plenty of guys go leaner on the carb slide for 03. Search for 03 carb slide. There's a few threads on it