yamaha DT400 engine noise w/corrected link

I recently put a engine with a new top end in my 77 DT400. This engine had a new top end put in a few years ago and wasn't used until now. It makes this rattling type sound at idle and low tons. Above 3000 or so rpms it goes away. The engine that was replaced also made this noise. Is it normal? Or is something wrong. Here is a link to what it sounds like. This is not my bike but it is the same sound.

I have a DT250 also and it does not make a noise like this. I also see comments on other videos stating that this is normal. I've never had a big single cylinder 2 stroke so I don't know if this is normal or not.

Edited by 79yamdt
bad link

Going on my DT360 experience your 400 sounds absolutely normal..All the bigger yammys of around then made that noise,,well certainly in the DT/IT range..Wait for others opinion but I say "Go with throttle up Gene"..

How much clearance did your shop give you on that piston? Is it a cast factory piston or a forged Wiseco?

As was mentioned before, the Wiseco will make more noise, since it runs more clearance. If you are sure

the numbers are good, Run it. Did you check the rod bearing play when it was apart?