Sign in to follow this  

master cylinder cap stuck

Hi,

Almost if not all dirtbike mfg has to put lame bolts that is too soft to bur on the heads of front brake master cylinder covers. These seems to get stuck so hard in time its just almost/atmost impossible to unbolts these 2 bolts out.

so how do you guys unbolt these 2 bolts so i may too be able to change the brake fluid of all my three bikes that still has old fluids.

get an impact screwdriver. the kind you hit the top of with a hammer. works every time.

or some heat....

or put coper coat or anti-sieze on the bolt befor putting it back in.

yep impact drier is the only way to go, if too late for that hammer and chisel

The reason so many screws strip out is you are using the wrong driver. They are not #2 Philips head, the are J.I.S fasteners and you need the matching screw drivers. Even with a fresh screw on your bike as well as a new Philips driver, you'll notice the fit is poor. The impact driver is a substitue for the correct tool.

hi, thanks for the replies. i think its a bit too late about the impact drivers i iv already burred some of the heads already.

i even had the correct head asmtight fit as i can but to no avail. these mofos are just too tight in time.

After you get them out, replace them with stainless steel ones. These are rather expensive for screws, but you'll not strip them again. They also won't rust and shouldn't react with the housing either. Although anti-seize is never a bad idea for fasteners you know you'll want to take out at some point in the future.

ok so i tried the inevitable and stripped the head of the bolt. i drill the head til it bottomed out on the otehr side of the bolt and left me with just a hole with no threads. am i able to tap a new thread? what size of a tap?