Sign in to follow this  

Best Clutch for 2012 CRF 450r??

Just picked up a new 2012 CRF 450r and from what I read the six hours I have on the bike has already out-lasted the stock jutter spring clutch expectancy!! Just wanted to get some inputs on clutches. I am leaning towards the complete Hinson clutch, I can get one for $798. From what I understand they are pretty much "bullet proof" clutches. I am not a fan of the Recluse clutches, it jacks me up in the corners. Apparently I like engine braking. Any inputs conerning clutches would be great.

Thanks

Ron

Can't go wrong with a Hinson. They're bulletproof.

Last time had hinson, not sure about hours but I needed to change it. Bought steel basket because its durability. It add's some weight to crankshaft so thats maybe negative thing, but I liked it.

I have a 2011 CRF450R and I hated the stock clutch BUT you can fix it by removing the 3 Judder string parts and replacing it with a $12.00 friction plate. just take out the skinny fricytion plate that is in the back of the basket, the small ring that sits behind it and the judder spring whicjh looks like a bent ring. then replace all three with one extra standard fiber ring and your goot to go. I hated how hard it was to pull my clutch and this seems to have fixed the problem. 20 minutes and 12 bucks beats the heck out of $700 everyday.

i would make it into a six spring clutch, if you dont want to do that get rid of the judder string parts and replace them and follow that up witha hydraulic clutch on either one of them.

Dude Sunline V1's! They break up, down, and the typical backwards motion too! That's not the best part. They're $60 a piece! Pick your color! My buddy has them on his 11' crf450 and swears by em'. The typical ASV ones that only break backwards are $120 a piece...and these are NOT any less quality.

Hinson 6 spring or single spring setup for sure. After the first ride with my SS clutch I can say no more fade, a real definite point of engagement, and a very nice positive feel. Took some getting used to after riding with the stock clutch for a while because the stock one slipped real bad and felt real sloppy while the Hinson is very on/off in its engagement.

No change in the clutch pull either, very easy.

I have a 2011 CRF450R and I hated the stock clutch BUT you can fix it by removing the 3 Judder string parts and replacing it with a $12.00 friction plate. just take out the skinny fricytion plate that is in the back of the basket, the small ring that sits behind it and the judder spring whicjh looks like a bent ring. then replace all three with one extra standard fiber ring and your goot to go. I hated how hard it was to pull my clutch and this seems to have fixed the problem. 20 minutes and 12 bucks beats the heck out of $700 everyday.

So I removed the friction plate with larger I.D. and replaced it w/ normal sized friction plate. Also removed two metal rings. One flat and other was "bent" looking.

Is there a need for an "Extra" friction plate or is doing what i stated above all that I need to do?

I bought an OEM honda clutch pack and it says 09 on it. Mine is an 11. It came with longer springs which made me think it was not going to work. Are mine just shorter because they are older (50 hrs)?

Thanks Guys!!🤣

Edited by Rhiyno
missing information

My friend, I'\m not sure if you could get away with not installing the extra plate but adding one makes the clutchpack the same thickness hence spring tension would be the same. 12 bucks why risk it?

I had an 09 which came without a judder spring. It was still horrible if you even alittle bit fan the clutch while riding. Just buy a 6 spring aftermarket or the single spring Hinson setup. The judder spring mod will hardly make a difference. Honestly people. The 4 spring set up no matter what you do is trash.