Sign in to follow this  

06 rm250 jetting and fork question ... need advise :)

So I posted about my 01 being sluggish and put that CEL needle in the bike and now that engine has so much power it makes my 06 tame ..... I can tell a huge difference in how the bikes run.

I am wondering if that CEL needle with be as effective on the 06. While i don't have the jets in front of me I was wondering if anyone that rides near sea level or less than 2000 feet can advise me on some netting for my 06. Running an fmf fatty v force stock silencer. Jetting is stock aside from one size larger main .... I will get the exact jet #'s when I get home but the jets are stock aside from one size larger main jet. My plug is mice and tan but I don't "feel" (seat of the pants) that this engine is reaching its true potential. I am going off of fmf's jetting specs but the bike doesn't feel like it is running as good as it should be (compared to my 01 now). It feels a little rich from 1/4 to 1/2 throttle and lack some top end overrev. If anyone knows a good spec to get the most out of that 06 engine I would appreciate any and all input.

As for the forks they feel decent till the midstroke then it feels like they almost stop and the bike ramps up quickly unless its a hard impact, my forks seem to work well at taking a hard hit but on lesser forces that cause travel to be used in that area they barely work ...I have the correct spring rates for my weight and put in 10cc's less than stock oil I think stock is 380cc I'm running 370cc's they are torqued correctly and even did this when I had the stock softer springs its like the forks refuse to use the travel unless forced to by a hard hit ....any advice on how to make them more compliant and plush bec other than that they work well enough for now ....no $ for a revalve currently. 👍

Im interested in this too, as I want to increase the top end pull of my 06. This may be discouraging, but I believe I read that the CEL only affects the low - mid. I guess that means the top won't be changed, but I may try this anyways

and I could live with more power. don't care where its at, but on top would be a bonus

Ahhhh cool, someone else is looking for the same thing I am If anyone can chime in on this it would be great!

Are there any 06 RM25's out there? My bike runs great but compared to my 01 RM they are 2 VERY different animals when it comes to engine performance however I LOVE this bike.....and its a beast but at around 8000 rpm the 01 simply walks away from my 06. I would really like to hear any advise on getting more top end pull and overrev. I am considering gearing it down to a 49 or possibly 48t sprocketl Clutch is not slipping and with the fatty pipe and v force reeds I thought it would be stronger s I rode an 7 and it pulled hard on top but couldnt match my 06 from off idle to 8000 too. I will be getting a regular (standard outdoor) FMF powercore ......can a silencer make THAT much of a difference????? Thats about all I can come up with for a solution....aside from getting it ported however I do not have $$$ for a port job just yet, I will try this as a last resort if nobody has any other input on something I may be missing. MX Tech gas valve fork kit for the forks first but since I found MASSIVE power gains by puttng in that CEL needle and I mean massive power in my 01 I wanted to see if I could find a similar solution I am missing here....a secret jetting spec?

Any input here??? 👍

If anyone wants to trade an good shape FMF standard length powercore silencer for 2 02 - 07 CR125 silencers please let me know I have a PC 304 shorty and a FULL titanium FMF shorty silencer its amazing how light it is both are for the aforementioned cr125 all I want is a FMF Powercore (not the shorty)

i've got a Factory Fatty on there for now, haven't re-jetted for it so I dunno how it compares to stock yet. I am going to put the Rad Valve from my 04 on my 06 as well. I'm going to try the CEL needle - it's only 12 bucks shipped so I might as well.

We'll get our 06's running like tops, i've got faith

I'm running 48pj, 170main, NECJ middle clip, AS out 1.5 turns. However I am running VP U4.4 103 octane leaded fuel. It has a high oxygen content so the "fat" jetting is needed, my bike runs great no bog .

i've got a Factory Fatty on there for now, haven't re-jetted for it so I dunno how it compares to stock yet. I am going to put the Rad Valve from my 04 on my 06 as well. I'm going to try the CEL needle - it's only 12 bucks shipped so I might as well.

We'll get our 06's running like tops, i've got faith

Please please keep me posted, my bike rips and surges to the top when wfo it runs really erratic like its jumping up and down in rpms ..... It doesn't run clean and crisp, hard to tell if its lean or too rich and the needle clip position does effect to a small degree the top end pull according to my manual..... Maybe I should fattenin up the main?

yes try fattening the main. or moving the clip down one or two notch. that should at least give you an idea of what direction to go (leaner or richer). It's erratic all the time or just on top??

After some research I am reading a 48 power jet might be the answer anyone tried one yet?

I also have an 06. I replied to your other post in the suspension section about oil height (I have .46 springs in with 345cc of oil- it works great for me 200lb B rider, moto only)

I have the same feelings about the power. I have a PC Platinum and R304 Shorty silencer- has anyone tried the "factory sound" PC silencer for top end?

I'm usually pretty picky with my jetting, but this bike seems so spot on that I haven't even opened the carb up to see whats in it!

As for the forks they feel decent till the midstroke then it feels like they almost stop and the bike ramps up quickly unless its a hard impact, my forks seem to work well at taking a hard hit but on lesser forces that cause travel to be used in that area they barely work ...I have the correct spring rates for my weight and put in 10cc's less than stock oil I think stock is 380cc I'm running 370cc's they are torqued correctly and even did this when I had the stock softer springs its like the forks refuse to use the travel unless forced to by a hard hit ....any advice on how to make them more compliant and plush bec other than that they work well enough for now ....no $ for a revalve currently. 👍

Revaling is the only way,, I know money is tight,but, You have to give it up to make those forks perfect,, hell, two hundred bucks is a little more than a couple tanks of gas, You can't go wrong with racetech,,,,, break open that piggy bank,,, jetting takes a lot of time,but, it's not expensive,, just keep experimenting,, I am a 100 feet above sea level, and I had to go leaner to get My 04 to be a monster with roll-on power,,but,, it takes time, but, once You do it,, it's done,,,, good luck Man.........Dr.D..

^jetting is done until the temp changes lol... oh well I think it's fun!

wth is a power jet? ive read that my bike has one but have no clue what it is. I think I run a 48 or 45 "pilot" in my 04 RM250, haven't looked in the 06 yet.

does anybody have any info on this mysterious "power jet"??

^jetting is done until the temp changes lol... oh well I think it's fun!

wth is a power jet? ive read that my bike has one but have no clue what it is. I think I run a 48 or 45 "pilot" in my 04 RM250, haven't looked in the 06 yet.

does anybody have any info on this mysterious "power jet"??

Thats the one thats controlled by the electric solenoid.

^wonderful... i'm lost

but on the upside, it's something I haven't optimized! and I have a new subject to research!

Thanks

yes try fattening the main. or moving the clip down one or two notch. that should at least give you an idea of what direction to go (leaner or richer). It's erratic all the time or just on top??

Just on top at wfo it rips till it gets there the flattened out and runs erratic almost surging it feels lean to me but I can't be sure all i can tell is it isn't like any other 250 I've owned at that rpm if that makes sense

Revaling is the only way,, I know money is tight,but, You have to give it up to make those forks perfect,, hell, two hundred bucks is a little more than a couple tanks of gas, You can't go wrong with racetech,,,,, break open that piggy bank,,, jetting takes a lot of time,but, it's not expensive,, just keep experimenting,, I am a 100 feet above sea level, and I had to go leaner to get My 04 to be a monster with roll-on power,,but,, it takes time, but, once You do it,, it's done,,,, good luck Man.........Dr.D..

You are 100% correct and if I had even 200 extra it would be done already I can barely afford to ride these days so I work with what I have the FIRST thing I plan to do is get the forks done the shock works great and most of my money is spent on gas to go moto also if i do it I'm looking to get a speed sensitive setup like mc tech's e-7 or rg3 gold valve ....no disrespect to ANY suspension co they are all good ... Having owned a crf with a speed sensitive valving setup I don't think I can go back ....they work really well on the showas if I cannot get that I will opt for a regular revalve ..... So I should go leaner on the main? I'm going to try the 48 power jet as well ....thanks for your input Dr D 👍

Stock oil level on the '08 is 350cc. Try that first, and then if that dosnt work, I think you can go as little as 310cc. Are you willing to take the forks apart and work on the valving (base and mid) yourself? I think that the '06 also ran what is called a bleed stack below the base valve stack. Alot of people disable that by turning the shim stack upside down. Alot of info in the suspension forum on revalving yourself. The general thought on Race Tech is that the gold valves are a gimick, you can make the stock pistons work. That being said, there is a vlaue in trying the Race Tech way as they do an execelent job in teaching you the basics of revalving your own suspension.

You are 100% correct and if I had even 200 extra it would be done already I can barely afford to ride these days so I work with what I have the FIRST thing I plan to do is get the forks done the shock works great and most of my money is spent on gas to go moto also if i do it I'm looking to get a speed sensitive setup like mc tech's e-7 or rg3 gold valve ....no disrespect to ANY suspension co they are all good ... Having owned a crf with a speed sensitive valving setup I don't think I can go back ....they work really well on the showas if I cannot get that I will opt for a regular revalve ..... So I should go leaner on the main? I'm going to try the 48 power jet as well ....thanks for your input Dr D 👍

I would try leaner,, every Suzuki I've had was jetted to rich from the factory,, Get the main squared-away first, then work Your way down to midrange needle, I run a fat needle, which makes it leaner, then, adjust the slow jet accordingly,,, to get the roll-on power thru all the rpm ranges,,, Start with the main, run the bike 3/4 to wide open down a one or two mile road,, then read Your plug,, after that, play with the needle positions,, then different slow jet sizes,,,,it takes time but it's worth it,, for the roll on power feel,,,,,,, I know money is tight,, I damned sure ain't rich either,,,, take one step at a time, that's all You can do,,,and,, Enjoy the ride........Dr.D..

darrel027.jpg