Sign in to follow this  

which service manual

I'm going to be pulling my starter on my 2006 X and am looking for an opinion on which of the service book is best. Haynes, Clymer, or the Honda. I checked out the Haynes from the local libarary and IMHO it was somewhat weak.

Any experienced feedback would be appreiciated.

The OEM Honda Service manual is the best IMHO.

It will however, tell you that the whole topend will need removal in order to pull the starter.

Which is not True, you don't need to remove the cylinder and head. Do a search for the details. It's really easier than it looks. Someday I will do a write-up with pic's. I have done this 5 times on different bikes (all Honda 450x's) and have never needed to remove anything more than the Seat, Carb, clutch cable and timing chain tensioner. Then lift the rear subframe up and out of the way:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks for the Advice guys, I did pull the starter without pulling the cylinder. It was an easy task. Not so easy was replacing the brushes in the starter. After monkeying around for about an hour I was seconds from pitching the old starter in the trash and ordering a new one because I couldn't get the brushes to stay apart in order to reinsert the shaft back into the starter. However, I took a step back for a bit to think, and devised a way using thin wire to hold the brushes apart then inserted the shaft, cut one of the wires then pulled out the remaining wire. put the bike back together and It fired right up. I have been nursing this starter for a couple of years now where it might work 5% of the time, kick starting the rest of the time.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.