Sign in to follow this  

gunk in the bottom of fuel tank?

ive got a yz250f with a plastic fuel tank, i took a look in with a flashlight to check how much fuel I had laft and at the bottom I saw that there were about four small piles of debres that looked like it could of been sand , some shined back like metal, and just other gunk, is this normal and what could be the cause of it? is there anychance it could damage my carb or motor if it isnt cleaned out? thanks- Justin

Could have been in the container that you poured the gas from or fell into there while refueling. The petcock should have a screen on it to filter out the debris but you might want to take the tank off and clean it. Might want to clean out your gas canister too and check it.

When you clean out the tank, filter the debris through a coffee filter to inspect it. Always a good idea to know what the junk is. Might want to do the same with your fill can.

Pull the tank off the bike

Pour the contents out the filler neck.

Add clean fuel, swish a little.

Pour the contents out the filler neck.

Repeat until a clean coffee filter stays clean.

Remove the petcock, and carefully clean it.

you might hve poured old gas in it, and some crap was left in the bottom of the gas tank, or you let the bike sit to long, gas turns into this green gunk when it sits to long, just flush out the tank, and use fresh gas you should be good to go, this has happened to me a couple times

With most tanks, the filler neck extends down into the tank, so you can't just turn it over and dump it out. Try that first though, if you can't get the crap to come out, remove the petcock, and pull the junk out through the petcock hole.