I burn 2-4 oz after a few races

ok sorry guys I should have been more clear. It was a fresh top end build and the first run was in April. I only practice on the mornings of race days. I attended about 12 races so far this season, but I have seen this since the first event back in april

Now I will Really Elaborate: I found that I was loosing motor oil into the tranny side and repalced the seals inside the case about 3 race days ago - now my tranny is Not overfull after practice mornings and the end of the race day.

But I still use the same non-synthetic Honda racing oil GN4, and I'm still at the bottom of the dipstick 3/4 of the way through the day.

I change both oils after every other event, but alternate engine sides, 1 event tranny and leave the motor oil, and the next event change the motor oil and leave the tranny

If no one comes up with a good reason I guess I'll have to switch to synthetic and see...

ok so I just checked my tranny level using the fill hole screw. it dribbled out for 2 minutes so I guess that could be what I'm seeing in loss on the engine side. So if this is true the seals I put in the cases are only working 90% or so. I don't know, I haven't heard of Anyone else battling this issue before...

thing is, when I fill the tranny area, I take the check fill hole screw out and wait for it to barely come out. So when I'm at the track and I take the screw out to check, the oil is HOT, so when I see it come out at a slow pace, I figure it's expanded from the heat and everything is good. Pretty annoying

well, yesterday was a race day and the saga continues. the trany fluid pretty much stayed where I left it, so I guess the seals are ok. But This time, after 3 practice sessions, the motor oil wasn't even on the dipstick! changed the oil before I left my house

so I'll be doing new nikasil, piston, rings, valve guides and guide seals, among other goodies

Are blow any white smoke out from exhaust?.

If not then more like you did fix your problem on the crank

Give a bit more time over fill

it gives a little puff of smoke when it's in neutral and I rev it, every time, not sure bout when I'm riding it.

After the rebuild I put a new vent kit on the carbs, just cause I wanted red tubing ?

the valve cover vent hose ended up getting kinked AND I put the case breather hose in the catch can. With this config lol the catch can was filling with oil and I was blowing A Lot of smoke out the exhaust. I fixed it after 3-5 minutes of riding like that.

does anyone think that could cause the rings to never seat correctly?

it gives a little puff of smoke when it's in neutral and I rev it, every time, not sure bout when I'm riding it.

That normal if it just puff black smoke

After the rebuild I put a new vent kit on the carbs, just cause I wanted red tubing ?

That shouldn't have any thing to do with it

the valve cover vent hose ended up getting kinked AND I put the case breather hose in the catch can. With this config lol the catch can was filling with oil and I was blowing A Lot of smoke out the exhaust. I fixed it after 3-5 minutes of riding like that.

It possable you could have burn up the valve seal

Have you check the catch can after each ride if fill back up then that blowby and it would have to do with your below quote

does anyone think that could cause the rings to never seat correctly?

That Possable or some else you never know in tell take the head off and cylinder and look things over really well

If the crankcase breather was kinked the most damage I would guess would be blowing the crank seals. Which would just fill the trans up like you saw the first time. If its puffing smoke in the exhaust (bluish white, not black) then it could be rings or valve seals...

• 1 month later...

Sorry this might be just a dumb question but are you checking the oil with the bike vertical or on the stand? It should be vertical not on the side stand.

The reason I ask, is I had a friend that was getting a lot of oil in a sport bike air box and he was over filling because he was checking it on his side stand. once he started to check it correctly he had zero issues.

I measure my oil at oil changes and its withing a once of when I filled it. I always put in the same amount and its prefect on the dipstick. Its like about 20oz on one side and 19oz on the other. Or 19oz and 18oz I have it written down in the garage and use a ratio right to measure.

yes it's always been straight, thanks. Top end is in my hand and it looks real real nice (to me). When my engine guys gets his hands on it and inspects the valve seats and faces I hope he has something to say except 'it looks great'....