Sign in to follow this  

grip installation, grip glue or other methods for non slip.

Ok so I have used the search tool but still haven't really found an answer to my question. I am going to install new grips on my bars. I have Scott half waffle grips and going to put them on pro taper contour bars. What should I use to get the grips to stick and not move or rotate. Yeah grip glue is an obvious option for me, but have read a lot of bad reviews on it saying that it doesn't work well at all. So what are other options for putting my grips on? Or should I just buy the grip glue? Thanks. Oh and not really that big of a fan of tie wiring them on.

I use grip glue and like it...its a messy PIA sometimes. Although its just superglue with a more expensive price tag (at least smells the same). I believe spray paint or clear coat is commonly used and maybe even hairspray but that may have been from the aqua net days

I use grip glue and like it...its a messy PIA sometimes. I believe spray paint is a commonly used and maybe even hairspray but that may have been from the aqua net days

What brand of grip glue are you using with success?

Hair spray is what I've used. Just don't let the girlfriend catch you and don't get too carried away with it. It helps the grip slide on the bar and then dries to keep they grips from slipping.

What brand of grip glue are you using with success?

pro taper but im almost certain its over priced super glue but used as per instructions grips haven't moved in many many hours.

Get some ODI grips. They are about $20 and lock onto your bars without glue. ODI's are 100x

easier than conventional grips and won't move at all.

Gasoline, hairspray, rubber cement glue,spraypaint are all methods I've used that outlast the grips.

I only use safety wire and have never had one slip on me. In fact, I spray WD40 in the grip before installation to make it slide on super easy.

Grip glue and saftey wire,been using this method for 3 year's on my race bike and have NEVER had a grip come loose.I have seen just about every other method fail.I race Hare Scramble's in about every condition possible,Snow to 100f +,wet and dry.Do yourself a favor and use Glue and Saftey wire.My 2cent's.

Gasoline, hairspray, rubber cement glue,spraypaint are all methods I've used that outlast the grips.

Gasoline? Please explain.

Grip glue and saftey wire,been using this method for 3 year's on my race bike and have NEVER had a grip come loose.I have seen just about every other method fail.I race Hare Scramble's in about every condition possible,Snow to 100f +,wet and dry.Do yourself a favor and use Glue and Saftey wire.My 2cent's.

How do you properly install the safety wire so it doesn't have sharp points and such?

i just want to comment: Hair Spray = bad idea.

get it wet and it's slip n slide time 👍

@ Nixonnow -- Gas evaps real fast so the idea is it proves lube to slip the grip on then evaps leaving just the rubber and metal.

3M weatherstrip adhesive. Best thing you can use. Yellow or black, does not matter.

Also, see the bottom of this thread. Had you searched, you would of gotten all the answers.

Saftey wire tool,Super easy to find.Sharp pair of dike's,cut and tuck it into the bottom of the grip.Very easy and you could probably find a you-tube video on how to do it.

Gorilla Glue! I used to use the hairspray, the stuff in the aerosol cans worked best. But if you got them really wet they would let go, and once they started slippin they didn't stop. Now I just use Gorilla Glue, the brown stuff dries way slower so it won't stick before you can get the grip all the way on.

i used to use scott grip glue & wire, but eventually they would still break free & start spinning...if u can find a type of super glue called zap-a-gap, or zap-gel its worth a try..i use the zap-gel & dont have to use wire anymore, awesome hold!👍 i do alot of white knuckling & haven't had one break free yet

Get some ODI grips. They are about $20 and lock onto your bars without glue. ODI's are 100x

easier than conventional grips and won't move at all.

+1 million. Best grips ever!