Sign in to follow this  

Mounting X-2 light away from wires

Ever since I got my X-2 headlight, I haven't been happy with the way it interferes with the wiring. I want to build a bracket to move it a little further from the forks and a bit higher so the light beam will not be blocked by a fender mounted bad for a spare tube. I was thinking of making a pair of brackets that bolt on the side of the upper fork clamps under the turn signals, but I was wondering if anyone else has made a bracket along these lines.

The x2 has very flexible rubber straps, it may be hack but the simplest way to do it would be to just shim something between that and the fork tube.

The x2 has very flexible rubber straps, it may be hack but the simplest way to do it would be to just shim something between that and the fork tube.

I am going to mount it two inches higher and two inches further out. It's not that stretchy! It's got to be bombproof. I'll get started on it tomorrow at work. I am a mechanic and a millwright at a mine, so I'll make a nice strong bracket and get some pics up for the next guy who wants to do this. My original light and brackets (as well as my back and arm) were mangled when I took a hard crash in Mexico last winter, so I can't use them.

I just drew up some plans. I'll make a pair of upper brackets 4" long with a 1/2" hole drilled one inch from the end to hold the light where the rubber straps go, and two holes on the other end where it will bolt to the upper tripple clamp under the turn signal lights. At the bottom I will make a bracket 4" x 4" and bolt the plastic bracket that came with the X-2 with the two prongs on it. It has long oval holes to allow the light some adjustment. The back of the 4"x4" bracket will have a 1" vertical edge with a hole drilled to fit the threaded hole in the bottom of the triple clamp. I'll get some pics up when they are built. I think this should be pretty strong. The upper bracket will need some washers to fill the 3/8" gap between the width of the upper clamp and the tabs inside the back of the light.

Here's what I did. I made a bracket for the bottom and two for the sides. I used the extra piece that came with the X2 for the studs and to make it adjustable.

6235632701_49fa4452e5_s.jpg

The parts

6236159266_93770c2d94_s.jpg

before

6236160514_847602406b_s.jpg

after

6236161652_69f0a71543_s.jpg

top bracket

The pics didn't come out on here how I wanted, but maybe it is accesible through this link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65621824@N08/?saved=1

Edited by r_jackson
  • Like 1

Hmmm...interesting. I may just look into that type of setup.

What is neat is that you now have some room under that front bracket to put in a tool kit or a tire tube.

Thanks for the pics,

I dont understand why a front fender bag is ever needed. Why not just wear a back pack? im willing to be an extra couple pounds on the front fender interfers with the steering to some degree. but hey everyones diffirent so do what You like!.... i personally like the head light connecting to the fender look better. good job on the bracket!

I dont understand why a front fender bag is ever needed. Why not just wear a back pack? im willing to be an extra couple pounds on the front fender interfers with the steering to some degree. but hey everyones diffirent so do what You like!.... i personally like the head light connecting to the fender look better. good job on the bracket!

I have a fender bag in which I store a spare tube, multiple CO2 cannisters and a fill valve. Its nice not to have that weight on my back and its so close to the steering axis I don't even notice its there. I also wear a Camelbak Mule that caries 100 oz of water, snacks, and a couple other small items. Around my waist I wear a fanny pack with the majority of my tools. Finally, on the rear fender in the stock bag are additional tools and other items needed for my ride. This is what I take with me when I participate in AMA dual sport rides which typically cover 150+ miles of dirt per day for two or more days. I'm thinking about a larger rear fender bag to get rid of the heavy fanny pack because after 100 miles in the dirt it starts to wear on me.

I have a water pack on my back and don't like to put anything else in there except for water and snacks. If I fall, I don't like the idea of metal tools up against my spine!

I like to store spare tubes on my bike, and under that bracket looks like a good spot to put one. Tubes aren't that heavy anyway. But as you say, to each their own!

Update: I replaced the 1/2" bolts at the top with some clevis pins. Now I can get the light off a lot quicker. I use a fender bag, I ride Baja and carry some tools, fuses, zap straps etc in the bag.

I would assume having it mounted higher would prevent the fender from blocking any of the light as well.