Sign in to follow this  

Charlotte NC area suspension help

I am in the process of completely rebuilding my sons KX 80. Up untill about 2 months ago I have rode very little. Now we all have bikes and being a "hands on" kind of guy I am looking for someone to help me set up our suspensions. I have read quite a bit on the subject but would feel more comfortable with someone that has experience to help me out.I ride 97 kx 250, he rides a 95 kx 80, and the My brother in law has a 02 kx125, and 02 cr125 that I would like to help dial in. We all rider trials no mx for now.Any suggestions of people that may help would be greatly appreciated. I know its a long shot but I figured I would give it a try

First you want to make sure you have the right springs for your weight and riding; you can do this online at Moto-pro, Race Tech, MX Tech, GP Racing Texas to name a few. You might want to review more than one because you will find they differ a little from company to company. You can also call any suspension company and they can help with spring weights as well.

Once the spring rates are correct you will have to make sure the rider sag is correct for the rear. You most likely will want your oil level in the forks at the MFG. lower level they list to keep the air spring effect to a min. and if necessary you can add 5mm at a time to the fork leg to change the ride during the last part of the travel.

Since you will now be sort of setup right you will want to adjust the compression and rebound adjusters to the areas you are riding in. If you are still unhappy with the ride, that is where revalving the suspension comes in.

Also Tire pressure and selection for the condition is huge as it relates to handling so consider that too.