Sign in to follow this  

yz250 for a beginner?

I'm looking to start riding and I'm probably going to start on a Yamaha 2t, at my size a 125 or 250. I'm 16 Years old, 6' tall, and I weigh around 190lbs. I've ridden my friends 07 KX250f before and I've ridden quads since I was about 10 years old or even younger, so I'm not totally new but It would be good to get my own bike.

Eventually I know I am going to get a 250 2t but I was wondering what you guys thought about starting with a 250 2t instead of a 125. I know maybe a 125 would be the best thing to get first but financially, getting just one bike and not worrying about selling one and buying another seems better for me. *Especially because I'm going to be paying for my bike, gear, repairs, maintenance, etc.; Not my parents.

Like I said I've ridden a 250f and Quads about a 3rd of my life so I have good throttle control and I'm not going to try to ride over my ability.

Short version; Would it really be all that bad to start with a 250 2t over a 125 2t?

Any questions, comments, advice is welcome. Be honest!

in theory you should start with a 125cc.

a friend of mine started with a 250 2-stroke and ended up racing nationals. so I think it doesn't matter...

At your size you'll be fine on a 250 smoker with your experience... respect the throttle and get some seat time and it'll fit you just fine. The 250 smoker will be leaps and bounds more powerful and have lots more torque than the bikes you've ridden in the past considering one was a quad and one was a 250f. Youll be happy with either the 125 and the 250. Just depends on how long you want to keep the bike. The 125 will probably make the transition to the 250 2t an easier transition but it wont be too much if you show the bike some respect. The 125 will be similar in power to the 250f you rode, just not as torqy.

If you can handle that then go for the 250 smoker. Get the best condition newest model smoker you can get within your budget and use the rest of the money you can get for suspension, tires and maint. and enjoy it for years to come.

Just take it easy and you'll be fine. If you hop on it thinking you can haul ass over jumps and do tricks and stuff right away you'll probably end up hurt. If you respect it like you said, and get a feel for it first and slowly build up I don't think you'll have a problem. I think the same holds true for any motorcycle though. Just remember though, it's NOT a 2 wheeled quad!

Props for buying it yourself, too!

At your weight and size, you should have no problem handling a 250cc two stroke.

The 125 can teach you some things in your cornering and agression.

I'm 31 and I just bought my first 125cc. I think it will help me learn to carry more speed through the corners.

Sure , why not go for the 250. I just did (again). If you are worried about having too much bike, why not get an older one?? I see older bikes, good ones going for cheap on Craigslist here. Start old, learn repairs on 2 cy, flogg it, sell it,, get a newer one, better one and go again.

Just a thought, worked for me. Well kinda..

Ride hard, read plugs, repeat!

A 125 will be a much better transition bike and will teach you about technique. There is a big difference between the styles of riding when comparing a 250f to a 125 or a 250.

I never rode a dirtbike above a 50cc in my life and went straight to a 250 in June. Im happy to say I'm alive. You should be fine with a 250.

I suggest to get the 125, a very good learning bike. Body movement, speeds and all involved. Its a lighter bike and will hone skills unlike any other. Get an older one so you spend little money, refine it after your liking and when you are total in control on it advance further and get the 250.

I was in exactly your position when I was your age. 16yo, ~6'2'', ~200lb and I got an RMX250...and never learned how to throw a bike around til I was in my 20's.

I'm 26 now, 6'4'' and 225lb and my CR125 is the most fun I've had in a while. I wish I started on a 125 and learned how to ride a two stroke like they were meant to be ridden. Instead I lugged that heavy RMX around til I was 22 and lost a lot of time learning how to corner and handle the bike. I think I would've been a better rider if I learned how to scream this bike when I was 16, would've made the 250 more fun instead of tiptoe-ing as I was learning. I have a few bikes now, including an 08 crf450, but when you just want to have fun, nothing beats a 125-150 two stroke.