Sign in to follow this  

2006 CRF250X or 2005 KTM 450EXC?

I've been out of riding for along while. Time to get back in. I have the chance to get either of these bikes. What's recommendations do you have? It will be mostly trail/woods/desert riding. Thanks for your help

52 years old, 5'9", 190. Will be riding mainly trails. SoCal riding. I would like to ride in the woods eventually. The ktm also is already plated. Really don't know how hard it would be to get the CRF plated for fire roads. From what I have read the CRF lighter put you have to be on the pipe more than cruising with the KTM. But, the KTM is heavier and not as quick turning. I don't plan on a lot of jumping but would still like to be able to get the front end up for those quick obstacles.

If you start with the 250, you will eventually want the 450. the 450 is definitely heavier, but its not that bad. I've ridden those 450 exc's before. Ordinarily I'd say start small and work your way up. But the plated ktm 450 exc is a nice ride and can take you places with the plate that the other bike can't. At your age, you are mature enough to not do anything crazy.

KTM 450 all the way. I will see you up in big bear on a dual sport ride.

Edited by mauricedorris

Buy the KTM...there is really no comparing a 450 EXC to a CRF250X. The CRF250 had alot of valve train issues in the mid 2000s. Aside from that, there is no 250F that will be as low maintenance as the KTM 450. The 2007 and prior KTMs had the "RFS" engine, which is very low maintenance for the performance level. I know a couple of riders that have over 300 hours on their 450 EXCs (both RFS) on the original top ends....with only valve adjustments, oil changes, and air filter cleanings. You would probably have rebuilt the CRF twice in that period...maybe 3 times if you rode it hard...sort of expensive maintenance.

Buy the KTM...there is really no comparing a 450 EXC to a CRF250X. The CRF250 had alot of valve train issues in the mid 2000s. Aside from that, there is no 250F that will be as low maintenance as the KTM 450. The 2007 and prior KTMs had the "RFS" engine, which is very low maintenance for the performance level. I know a couple of riders that have over 300 hours on their 450 EXCs (both RFS) on the original top ends....with only valve adjustments, oil changes, and air filter cleanings. You would probably have rebuilt the CRF twice in that period...maybe 3 times if you rode it hard...sort of expensive maintenance.

300 hrs... I think you mean 3000 hrs. those bikes are solid.

Not sure about 3000 hours on any bike ridden off road, maybe except for a well maintained XR...and that seems high even for an XR. I do agree the KTMs are solid. Most of the guys I know that ride the big bore KTMs say they tend to give out around 400-500 hours.