Sign in to follow this  

Please help me pick a supermoto! :)

I'm new to supermoto. I'm really looking for a street bike, but really like the design of these over cruisers and sport bikes.

I'm 6'4" and 320lbs with a 32" inseam. I figure this puts me in the 500+ CC category. I like lower seat heights but the lack of power on the drz400sm makes me shy from it.

I do not want to convert something to on road use, nor do I want to convert an on road dual-purpose bike to supermoto tires. I want something that has lights and on road tires already. This is a wife-compliant issue as she doesn't want me modding it until I don't like it anymore (like my formerly 500bhp gutted turbo sentra. heh)

Currently these are the search terms I've been using:

supermoto (supermotard doesn't seem to be used here in the south)

KTM (and weeding through all the offroad stuff)

Aprilia

DR650 (in hopes of finding one with SM wheels/tires already)

KLR650 (probably should be off the list?)

Husqvarna

It will be primarily as a short trip, point to point daily rider. I plan to do a little agressive riding if I get comfortable with it, but nothing insane.

1) Any brands I should add to my search list? Any tips? I've been using Craigslist, cycletrader, and ebay to hunt.

2) Any models that would suit me best? I'm not interested in constant maintenance. The 610 has a 3000mi valve adjust schedule and anything more often than that isn't going to fly. Longer is better!

Thanks a ton! I've been enjoying many of the threads here!

I'm very happy with my DR650, have it set up with the usual power modes, running Avon Distanzia tires on stock rims (21" front, 17" rear). I too like the supermoto look - 17" fat tires but am too cheap right now to do the wheel conversion. I understand this is a "sportsman class" supermoto stock rims with street tires. I'm not an off road type, just an occasional gravel or dirt forest service road. Use bike mainly to get from RV park or campground to stores or area attractions, also use around town as commuter. For more agressive riding on mountain roads (twisty) I run out of skills before the bike and tires run out of grip. DR's are low maint.

I just bought a Beta 520RS-sm a couple weeks ago. I ride it to school and back mostly(5-8 min. trip), and It's really exactly what I need.

I decided to take a trip and rode over 350 miles this weekend, and never even sputtered. It's set up when you get it, so no conversion required.

americanbeta.com < check them out (they only have pics for the 2011's for some reason, but they do have a Red 2012).

I rode the KTM 625 recently and wasn't impressed. Too heavy and a bit lacking on power. If you don't mind the weight, it's still a pretty good bike. (keep in mind that my bike is 245lbs dry)

Edited by CRFJeff113
added info

I ended up buying a MZ Baghira 1999 model with 10k miles. Love this bike. It's freaking scary. Front tire comes up if you aren't careful.

Unfortunately I broke the gas cap (overtighted 👍 ) and now I have to wait until next Tuesday/Weds to ride!!!! NOOOOOOO

I bought some duct tape but our 93+ octane around here eats that adhesive in 10 minutes. I can't ride if I'm getting splashed with fuel! Any ideas?

Thanks for all your input!

hmmm... IDK man... Do you have another bike you may be able to steal one from? Or a buddy? I mean... try until the threads match up! lol