Sign in to follow this  

2005 KTM 525sx seized any info?

Well i just wanted to get some feed back on what I should do to a KTM 525sx that I might purchase. Ok I'm looking at this bike that a guy has for sale and it sounds like it has a seized motor due to running it with no coolant? That's what he explains in his add, i haven't looked at the bike yet in person but he said for the rest of the bike he would give it a 8.5 out of 10 so I'm thinking he just didn't know what he was really doing or new what to do to prevent?

So bottom line is when I go and take a look at this bike and if it really looks like a 8.5 out of 10 what else should I look for? First off I'm going to roll it in neutral and see if it will even do that with any grinding sounds, then ask him some questions to see what this guy really knows about motorcycles and how this seizing of the motor went down.

So he mentioned in the add that there was no coolant and the motor blew? So emailed him and asked if it blew or suddenly stopped/seized? Then he said yes from what he thinks it seized. So with that said what all can really be wrong? Cylinder, piston, rings and maybe the crank? Unless the piston blew up and there's pieces of the skirt lingering around in the case, then I would really F#*ked. Maybe that's what he mention by blew! Hahaha. Well see.

So if you guys have any info / feed back you can give me or some pointers to look out for when i go and check this thing out I would highly appreciate it. First time maybe owning a KTM so I'm new to this make. My brother has one and said it's a beast so Im looking to hop on board of one.

Thanks

As a buyer you should assume the motor is completely trashed and will not be rebuildable and your offer should reflect that. If it turns out to be less costly to get it going again, gret! But there is NO reason for you to take that risk. That's the risk the seller has to assume (by taking very little money) since they have opted to sell it in a non-running state.

As a buyer you should assume the motor is completely trashed and will not be rebuildable and your offer should reflect that. If it turns out to be less costly to get it going again, gret! But there is NO reason for you to take that risk. That's the risk the seller has to assume (by taking very little money) since they have opted to sell it in a non-running state.

Good call man, 110% true. I'm going to run with that.

Here on the east coast, I would not go over $1K for it and that may be high.

Hahahaha omg I think I just came across one the the best deals in my life.*

Ok check this out, so you know how I explained everything in my first thread if you haven't read it, please do so or you won't really get the story. Well yes, I bit the bullet, pull the trigger, what ever you want to call it, knowing there is a 50/50 chance that this bike just has a seized piston with no other major damage and it can be a simple fix by slapping a perfect big bore kit on it, or the motor is just completely junk and I'm going to be F*%ked and have to buy ptretty much a complete motor??? Who knew? Well I guess only the seller knew? Hahaha well "little" did he know he bike that he sold to me for 1500 dollars, yeah i know I paid over 1000 well at the end of this story you would too, so he was telling me that it was forsure a seized motor due to no radiator fluid because when you looked down into the radiator it looked to be bone dry, didn't see nothing. When I was purchasing the bike in his garage I had him put it on a stand and im spun the rear wheel in nutural with my ear to the case listening for grinding noise...nothing, no strange noses, same process with it in gear with the clutch in, perfect, no noise. I get up took a step back and told him, sold! Now having my self convinced it was just a seized piston I'm rushing home to take this 525 apart.*

I get it home get it on the stand and start the process of ripping this puppy down. I take off the seat and see a hour meeter that read 3.7 nice, alomst 4 hous on the new rebuild. So i didnt mention that this bike came with a breefcase full of manuals and a folder of recipets for motor work that had been done to it in 2010 from not the guy i bought it from but the first owner, recipets for a "whole" new top end and pretty much a new bottom end, no joke all adding up to some were around 800 dollars!*

So I get everything off that need to be off to get the motor out easily besides the radiators, I take the bike off the stand to drain what he stated merky oil that was in the case, I'm prepaired for this nasty white goope to drain out of this motor, thinking that the cylinder cracked and water got into the oil?...nope suprise, nice and clean oil with not one little bit of shavings? Ok so I'm thing let me take out the filters and see if they have any signs of metel shavings, nope, clean as a whistle. At this point I'm thing, sweet! that is a great sign that the bottom end is clearly ok. So I get the bike back up on to the stand to rip off the radiators and the first hose I take off knowing there isn't no radiator fluid, I rip it off and fresh blue ice coolant comes flowing out squirting in my face and all over my garage floor...trust me you should of seen the look on my face, I was mad that there was a mad mess in my garage, but at the same time happy that there was coolant in then radiators!?

I get the motor out of the bike and up on the bench, I'm wrenching like a mad man trying to get this motor apart, looking like me five years old on Christmas day opening up my favorit present! I get the head off, brand new piston, perfect cylinder walls, nothing looked to be wrong, stumped, but I still could spin the motor freely? Then i was think crap a sized crank bearing? So I get the timing chain off, both side covers off and the clutch, as I'm taking off the gear on the back of the clutch I see what looks to be a chunk of metal *jammed in between two gears behind the clutch??? ***! So I take a wrach on the nut of the one side Of the crank to free the piece of metal that was jammed in the geas, pop! I came flying out and was free spinning like a frakin brand new motor! Oh my god, thinking to my self that was the freaking problem! Hahahahahah f#%k yeah! *so I'm calling everybody and telling them what the hell I found in the motor that made it stop, looking up close I seems to be a forgen coin, looks be the size of a quarter, thinking that some one could of dropped it down the oil filler whole, the guy did have a little 3 year boy, the kid may of put that in there while daddy had his back turned getting the oil to put into the bike.*

Hahahaha I examined the whole side of the case for cracked gears, missing chunks of coin, and other damage.... Nothing only found a little ding on the side of the casing from when it jammed and suddenly stopped on the privious owner. So I started putting all back together with the biggest smile on my face knowing that I just scored the best deal in my life, a perfect 2005 ktm 525 sx that I bought for 1500 hahaha.