Sign in to follow this  

break in

Just spent $720 bucks on getting a new piston kit and everything involved the valves put in and having my forks rebuilt. I was wondering what the best way to break it in is? because i'd hate to screw something up.

I have already put just over an hour of easy riding on the bike. is that enough? should i change the oil?

any suggestions would be appreciated,

thanks

So I ended up breaking it in over three rides. The first was just warming it up and letting it idle for a little while (around 5 minutes). The second was a warm up followed by an easy 1 hour ride. and finally, today i warmed it up and took it for a quick 5-10 minute ride of easy-medium revs. Changed the oil and am calling her broken in.

Did they hone the cylinder? Thats a key aspect for the rings to mate. I've heard that easy is not the way to do it but others have said the tact in the attached is directed more at street machines.

Anyway, I've done per the attached.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

If I were you, I'd go get some back pressure on those rings next ride and then call it good.

Dave

Ya. i figured out the search button on this thing and found a bunch of people sourcing the same site. No more unnecessary post for me.