Sign in to follow this  

17ltr Safari Tank for Dr-z400e

Was thinking about getting this tank for longer rides around the cape, people thoughts on this tank?

Cheers,

Krally

Was thinking about getting this tank for longer rides around the cape, people thoughts on this tank?

Cheers,

Krally

The 17L actually holds around 20L.

I had one fitted on my S but eventually sold it and bought an IMS 3.2gal.

(Also have the Clark 14L on another bike)

What I didn't like about the Safari 17L is it wobbles around. There are no lower front mounts like the Safari 28L or the IMS 4gal.

It holds the weight low, which is good, but also forward, which I didn't like for deep sand where less weight on the front wheel is preferable.

The IMS 4gal seems to have a better mounting system so if I really needed the range of a 4+ gallon tank, I'd probably go for that and order online from the US.

I love my safari 17 on my S. It is strange that it doesn't mount more secure than it does but I believe the E model has a few more mounting points than the S so it would probably mount better on your bike.

I've taken a few good crashes with it and it did a hell of a good job protecting my radiator.

I personally like the looks of the safari tanks over any of the other aftermarket tanks but that's all preferences.

I like how it carries the weight of a full tank and the range has been good, I usually fuel up around 300km (186 miles) but have gone as far as 350km (217 miles) without hitting reserve and the way the tank straddles the bike it holds a few liters of fuel in the right rad shroud that you can lean the bike over or pop a wheelie to gain access to, almost like a secondary reserve.

• Like 1

I love my safari 17 on my S. It is strange that it doesn't mount more secure than it does but I believe the E model has a few more mounting points than the S so it would probably mount better on your bike.

I've taken a few good crashes with it and it did a hell of a good job protecting my radiator.

I personally like the looks of the safari tanks over any of the other aftermarket tanks but that's all preferences.

I like how it carries the weight of a full tank and the range has been good, I usually fuel up around 300km (186 miles) but have gone as far as 350km (217 miles) without hitting reserve and the way the tank straddles the bike it holds a few liters of fuel in the right rad shroud that you can lean the bike over or pop a wheelie to gain access to, almost like a secondary reserve.

Your quite right about the different mounting on the E, I have the 17 and found it is quite ridged on the bike.

I think you will find that the S tank slides over some rubber blocks as opposed to the E which bolted to the frame on rubber mounts.

Fuel range is good too like you mentioned, I have done 400K's on a tank of mixed off/on road riding.👍

Your quite right about the different mounting on the E, I have the 17 and found it is quite ridged on the bike.

I think you will find that the S tank slides over some rubber blocks as opposed to the E which bolted to the frame on rubber mounts.

Fuel range is good too like you mentioned, I have done 400K's on a tank of mixed off/on road riding.👍

Yes, different mount system on the E, my complaint only applies to the S type mounting.

The 17L actually holds around 20L.

I just mounted a used 17l to my S yesterday and it took more than 5 gallons (19L). I had a full oem tank of 2.6 gallons that I used to fill the safari tank. I then rode to the gas station (1.2 miles away) and filled it with 2.98 gallons. Theoretically that'd be roughly 5.58 gal or 21.12 L. YMMV, so take with a grain of salt. I was quite pleasantly surprised.

The E and S tanks are the same. They just come with different mounting parts. The E has some sort of bracket that mounts below the frame between the radiator shrouds. So the E and S tank has some nutserts under the radaitor shroud portion that you can use to easily fabricate some sort of bracket to help make it secure (for those S owners)

I'll be riding it on the streets the next couple weeks but the real shake down will be in death valley. So I can't comment on weight placement vs. riding conditions or tank stability. But it definitely holds the weight low. The tank is actually narrower than the oem tank/shrouds. And searching the internet the general consensus I gather is that this is the best and easiest fitting tank on the market. Others seem to have occasional issues mounting it to the bike. Mine fit right in.

DaDizzer, that is great to hear. I want to order a 17L Safari tank for my 2011 S. Any ideas who to order it from (I’m in Canada)?

Thanks.

Just a thought, any reason why S owners can not use the E hardware to fit an oversize tank? Or is the S frame different the E in that respect?👍

I have this tank on my S model.

If you buy this tank, make sure that you check the fit between the tank and the top of the motor on the right side. Do it with a full tank of fuel after the tank has had time to settle against the bike. See this thread for wear pics >>> https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=982077&highlight=

I contacted the US importer/seller of this tank (Justgastanks) and the manufacturer. No useful help was received from either of them. Justgastanks sent me some soft open cell foam that collapsed under the weight of the tank. Safari wanted to blame the problem on missing rubber bumpers on the side of the DRZ – these were not missing.

I solved the problem by raising the tank with a rubber union designed for PVC plumbing pipe. I trimmed the rubber to fit on the DRZ’s backbone just past the stock rubber piece.

The tank’s side to side wobble was fixed by installing the Unabiker radiator guards. On the flat sides of the guards between the tank and the guards, I glued strips of rubber. The rubber strips were cut from the elastic straps that truckers use to hold down tarps.

If my memory is right, I have put 5.2 US gallons of gas into a nearly empty tank. Both lower wings of the tank had fuel in them, but that fuel wasn’t going to flow down the petcock. Before putting fuel in the tank, I tried tilting the bike over on its left side, but no fuel transferred from the right to the left. If I had run out of gas, I would have gotten to that fuel. That probably would have meant pulling the tank or pushing the bike into a ditch (front wheel up) and laying the bike completely down on its side.

I got my 17 liter Safari from Just Tanks or Just Gas Tanks (something

like that). They had it in stock and shipped quickly. I got the

translucent one so I can tell easily how much fuel I have.

I also put some "Gripper" pads on it where my knees hit it

that add cushion and break up the largeness look of the tank.

DaDizzer,

If your question is directed at me, I glued the rubber strips to the sides of the radiator guards with RTV silicone adhesive. Nothing was glued to the gas tank.

One correction - I found my trip notes. I was able to put 5.159 gallons into the nearly empty gas tank.

looking into a 17ltr or 28 ltr safari tank or other on a drz 400e with force rad guards, Mainly go for day rides in remote areas and dont want to run out of gas. What are the good and bad of afermarket long range tanks?