Sign in to follow this  

First ride on my new (to me) toy!

Hey all,

I recently picked up a virtually brand new (no boot scuffs on frame or sidecover or anywhere else, still had nubbies on the tires, still had 2008 vintage fuel in the tank) bike a few weeks ago. Been too busy to ride until today. Mother nature thru the state of Michigan a pile of BEAUTIFUL fall days this weekend and early this week, so the family and I headed north for a long weekend. We went for a short ride today. I figured that I didn't want to ride the bike too long or too hard, so riding behind my wife and kids should keep me from being too stupid with a bike that I'm sure wasn't broken in yet.

OK, so I need to tweak the suspension for my (lack of) riding style...a bit harsh over roots and rocks, but wow, this bike is gunna be fun once I've got it set up properly for me.

I went thru it to make sure the filter was clean and the intake was sealed up well. The oil was good (both level and condition), but I will change it after a little more riding time as it's probably the stuff that was in the bike when it left the dealership in 2008. I put a Leovince exhaust on it to quiet it down and give it the spark arrestor that is required in Michigan. I also did a minor tweak to the fuel screw...it was a bit lean with popping on decels and a bit hard to start.

So beyond the basic maint. stuff, what else do the rest of you that ride these things in the woods recommend? Kickstand might be coming....riding behind the kids when they lay a bike over gets to be a pain to find something to lean the bike against so I can help them out. Maybe a trailtech computer just cuz I had one on my last bike and it was kinda handy to keep track of hours and ride distance (for fuel reasons).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Forgot to mention that barkbusters are on the way. I learned the hard way a long time ago that a couple little alum. bars are worth their weight in gold in certain situations! They just hadn't arrived when I had the weather and the opportunity to ride.

Cycra pro bends I have hit a bunch o stuff (I race hare scrambles) bent a little but still hold up good. oh kibble whites and when due for a rebuild get a hot rods crank and a wise co piston and the thing will last a life time

I really like the new plastic Acerbis bash plate for off-road. It's very light, installs with ONE bolt so removing it for oil changes is super easy, doesn't interfere with frame stiffnes etc. It would probably get destroyed soon if you ride a lot of rocky terrain, but for around here it slides over roots just fine without taking much damage.