My DRZ Before & After + Big Bore Impressions

About 3 months ago I bought my DRZ. It was used with about 15k miles on it, but ran like a champ. I rode it for while, took it a bit off roading, parking lots, etc. Here was my bike before. I put on the fender and head light stickers, otherwise how I got it. (Plus the dirt)

Stock, 15k miles

Yoshimura RS-2

Jetteded

eGCl9.jpg

As a future EE, I can't leave things alone. I always have to mess around with them. That plus some extra cash in my wallet. That lead me to:

440 Big Bore

FCR-MX 39mm

Hot cams (stage 1, in/out)

MRD Exhuast

Tail rack

Supermoto pegs

Supermoto sliders

Trailtech Vapor

Misc Stickers

Misc colored parts (Hoses, wheel spacers, dipstick, axle blocks)

Wheel tape

LED Turn signals

Fan over ride switch

Zeta Pivot Levers

Few misc items

Todo list:

Distanzias

New headlight

Which turned into this:

PYQ7U.jpg

I got my big bore finished the other day. I took it out for a ride today and all I can say is holy crap. It's very smooth and had power at all rpms and every gear. If you open up the throttle quickly, you better hold on for dear life.

I took it out to a freeway with higher speed limits than the city, and got it to max speed and rpm and the engine still wanted to go but there was no more gears. (15/43 gearing)

My only complaint is the pipe is too loud. Kids were covering their ears, had a few people yell at me from their car windows and there was a ton of back firing on decel.

Overall, I'm pleased. It does want to keep the wheel down in the higher gears, but I am not trying that hard due to breaking it in.

it is my humble opinion that during the break in period you should be running it as hard as possible... to an extent. you want to build very high cylinder pressures. this means A LOT of low RPM/high throttle runs, and also a lot of engine braking.

read more here

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Running it a gear lower than it should. Around 8k rpm with engine braking only.

I am planning on waiting until I get to 20,000 miles before I do the BB kit. But, it's hard to wait! It's almost winter and it might be a good time to tear into things. I loved the difference the FCR made in my bike. Do you think I will notice the same level of improvement when I add the BB kit as I did with the FCR?