Sign in to follow this  

Compensating between race and free sag with stiff springs?

2007 RM125. I weigh super light at only 135lbs in gear. Obviously, even the stock springs on a 125 are too heavy for me 👍

Riding season is almost over and I'm on a budget. If I achieve 100mm race sag, I have way too much free sag. Should I lean towards reaching the proper race sag and not worrying too much about the free sag for now, reach the proper free sag, or, meet a middle ground?

set the race sag.this effects chassis attitude.test and see if you like the way the spring performs.

You haven't told us what your static sag numbers are. Front and rear. Are you racing MX or offroad ?

Your bike has 310mm of travel front and rear. Rear, you should be looking at about 105mm of rider sag (+-2mm). About 34mm static (+-2mm).

Front, you should have about 77mm rider sag (+-2mm) and 43mm static sag (+-2mm). Offroad racing. Mx will be slightly less on the forks , per some tuners.

very light riders cannot get perfect sag numbers , I would use 0.36 fork springs and 4.3 rear

You haven't told us what your static sag numbers are. Front and rear. Are you racing MX or offroad ?

Your bike has 310mm of travel front and rear. Rear, you should be looking at about 105mm of rider sag (+-2mm). About 34mm static (+-2mm).

Front, you should have about 77mm rider sag (+-2mm) and 43mm static sag (+-2mm). Offroad racing. Mx will be slightly less on the forks , per some tuners.

Strictly Motocross. I will get these numbers to you later on. Never measured fork sag but I'm guessing the measurements would be taken in the same manner as the rear (between two common points)?

It's obvious I will need lighter springs. Factory Connection always does my work, been happy with them. I am only getting 95mm of rider sag with the shock spring just to the point of being loose fully extended. There is more thread left but I don't want the spring flopping around.

Are you saying that you do or do not want to buy new springs? If riding season is almost over then finish it out. Save up some money over the next 5-6 months and buy the springs suggested above.

Are you saying that you do or do not want to buy new springs? If riding season is almost over then finish it out. Save up some money over the next 5-6 months and buy the springs suggested above.

That's exactly my plan

2007 RM125. I weigh super light at only 135lbs in gear. Obviously, even the stock springs on a 125 are too heavy for me 👍

Riding season is almost over and I'm on a budget. If I achieve 100mm race sag, I have way too much free sag. Should I lean towards reaching the proper race sag and not worrying too much about the free sag for now, reach the proper free sag, or, meet a middle ground?

Set the free sag to balance the bike. Race sag is only applicable if your springs are right. If you set your race sag at 100mm, the front end will ride too high relative to the rear. A correct free sag keeps the bike balanced, and your light weight will simply make the bike ride a little higher in the stroke.

JayC