Sign in to follow this  

honda xl 250r ?

my dad is looking for a cheap honda 4 stroke 2 wheeler we came across a 1985 honda xl 250r in good condition are these bike any good and how well would one handle cruising around in trails ( i know these bikes are not made for it but we dont go very often)

and how much maintenance would you have to do....

cheers:ride:

I had one. Don't think of it as a serious trail machine. The suspension isn't even close to what's current today and they were quite heavy. Will it suffice for you? Maybe, depending on what you expect. For casual trail riding on easy, relatively smooth trails, it might be fine. But they're very reliable and tough as nails. Get it cheap and have a ball!

They are decent bikes. I bought one for the wife. They do run a bit hot from the lean factory carb setting though. It handles great and is a fine commuter. The suspension is kinda weak but I think it is fine for trail riding.....not jumping. Every time I get on that bike to ride it, it gives me a smile.:ride. maintain it the same as any 4 stroke.

what those guys said.

great old bike. Put some real knobbies on it and cruise some fireroads and double-tracks and have a ball. take it on some tamer singletracks even.

as regards the suspension: yeah the bike has enough get-up and grunt that you can get in a hairy situation if say, you go over a crest too quickly into a rockgarden or a bunch of babyheads. You'll be using your "leg suspension" quite a bit.