XR 250L Tires

Hi All I am new to the forum just picked up a 1991 XR 250L in very good shape,except for rear tire. Do you guys have any recomendation for a good dual sport tire. I am thinking like 70% dirt and 30 % street. I am from TN so mostly muddy rocky terrain, no sand. Also what is the factory size tire for this bike? It has knobbies on it right now that are not DOT approved, they are 5.10 - 18. Thanks in advance.

James

I have a 92 and use the Pirelli Xcmh for front and rear 110-100-18 ® and 90-100 (f) I believe that is also the stock size but all brands vary in sizes anyway.

Its clearly a dirt tire but handles very well on the street. A wet street not so much. I have about 2000 miles on them now and the back will need replacement soon and the front in another 500 or so. I ride a lot of street at low speeds.

They are great tires for dirt too. I would rather replace them more often than be sliding all over the trail uncontrollably with less nobby tires. They are pretty aggressive and do well with med hard terrain (perfect for all the volcanic rock here).

The Dunlop 606 is another good one. It has a less aggressive tread and handles well on dirt and street.

Anyone like the Michelin AC10 Enduro-MX tire, found them on sale 100/100 - 18 for 63.99 plus shipping.

I havn't tried them myself but I've heard they are pretty decent. Thats a good price, I'd try one out. You could also try a 120/90 size if they have it, little wider and about the same height as a 100/100.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody use the Shinko 244s they look almost identical to the Kenda 270 but are cheaper. Rear $43, Front $29 for that price I am tempted to try these out.

http://www.bikebandit.com/shinko-244-motorcycle-tire

What do you guys think about balancing? Is it worth it? I am not running a rim lock and I could save some money putting the tires on myself. Local shop charges $16/tire for mounting and balancing. Thoughts?

Edited by jamesgardner83