Sign in to follow this  

Jetting for Little Sahara

My jetting right now is #165 main,#48 pilot,2.5 out on air screw.Stock gearing.Stock pipe with spark arrestor .

I want to ride pretty hard. Any suggestions?

165 seems pretty rich for the stock exhaust im running a 168 with a full exhaust at low elevation. with the stock exhaust and a pro moto billet tip i used a 155 main and it ran well.

Respring, remove AIS, open air box and re-pipe. As stated above, you sounds a little rich for a 165 main. Do as I said, and it'll be all the bike you can handle!👍

Well said, except that you may find that the KLX doesn't have much top-end for dune riding. I have a kx450 as well, and there is no comparison out in the dunes. KLX is a dog in the upper RPMS. I also found the KLX suspension to be way too soft for the dune riding I do. Especially the front diving too much. It feels great on the dirt though.

Oh yeah make sure you run a paddle tire!!! 8-paddle is good for the KLX. I also love the AMS sandsnake front tire, but it's not necessary like the rear is.

Well said, except that you may find that the KLX doesn't have much top-end for dune riding. I have a kx450 as well, and there is no comparison out in the dunes. KLX is a dog in the upper RPMS. I also found the KLX suspension to be way too soft for the dune riding I do. Especially the front diving too much. It feels great on the dirt though.

Oh yeah make sure you run a paddle tire!!! 8-paddle is good for the KLX. I also love the AMS sandsnake front tire, but it's not necessary like the rear is.

Do you still have the stock exhaust and header on the klx cause i have a full system and mine helps a lot in the upper RPM range as well as bottom

Not really sure how you jetted but my KLX pulls all the way to almost top. My upper 3/4 throttle snaps the bike with a huge powerband. You're exactly right on that suspension though. If you're dropping power up top, check your needle and main, might help

so does a stiffer front suspension yield less nose diving?

I run a 170 main with a 48 pilot the air box cut wide open with UNI-Filter. Stock head pipe with the KX can. I have a ton of top end.

Sorry to hijack a bit... I just bought a UNI filter should be coming sometime tomorrow... Do I have to oil it or does it come ready to be put in?

Have you noticed a better performance than the stock one?

I still have the air box, and when I went to remove/clean the stocker I found all kind of dirt in there...

Thanks.

Sorry to hijack a bit... I just bought a UNI filter should be coming sometime tomorrow... Do I have to oil it or does it come ready to be put in?

I still have the air box, and when I went to remove/clean the stocker I found all kind of dirt in there...

Thanks.

No problem hijacking my thread. Good question on the filter. I'd think you'd have to oil it before using it.

And yes stiffer front will have less nose diving, but I know in sand the front can still tuck under on you. Got to keep the power on, and driving.

I rejetted the carb somewhat, 160 main, 4th clip on needle, still 48 pilot,2.5 on air screw.

Promoto billet exhaust , AIS block off kit, stock air filter.

Bike runs good. Will pull the front up in all the gears and hits a 92 MPH speed on the Speedo with stock gearing. Thats on a paved road.

I put an 8 paddle tire on so I hope that works good in the dunes. I've never used a paddle tire before. I rode the desert races in New Mexico when I was in the Air Force but always used a knobby.

What kind of tire pressure do you guys run with a paddle or does it really matter?

My suspension is stock , so I'll just have to use the clickers and suck it up.

Good info guys. Thanks . We'll be riding this weekend.

I run a 170 main with a 48 pilot the air box cut wide open with UNI-Filter. Stock head pipe with the KX can. I have a ton of top end

Well I know the KLX does feel fast, especially if it's your first 450 4-stroke. But it has nowhere near the amount of top-end power and over-rev that the KX has. No comparison IMO. On the dirt I dont notice the difference near as much. The inferior KLX power becomes very apparent out in the loose sand with a paddle tire. It just doesn't hammer WOT like the KX. Once you start riding WOT a lot you can really tell the difference. My KLX has a full yoshi exhaust and hotcams stage II. Those mods helped a lot but it still doesn't have as much top-end power as my stock KX (with pro-circuit exhaust). The difference is in the cylinder heads.

Thanks.

Yes you do need to oil the inner and outer surfaces and both inner and outer filter. It make a big difference and I realy hacked the air box up. It makes it a lot easier to access and clean the air box out.👍

Well I know the KLX does feel fast, especially if it's your first 450 4-stroke. But it has nowhere near the amount of top-end power and over-rev that the KX has. No comparison IMO. On the dirt I dont notice the difference near as much. The inferior KLX power becomes very apparent out in the loose sand with a paddle tire. It just doesn't hammer WOT like the KX. Once you start riding WOT a lot you can really tell the difference. My KLX has a full yoshi exhaust and hotcams stage II. Those mods helped a lot but it still doesn't have as much top-end power as my stock KX (with pro-circuit exhaust). The difference is in the cylinder heads.

It has more to do with the gearing. With what you have in that KLX it should pull just as hard or harder than the stock KX. In the dunes you would have put a 12-52 on it and I would bet it would do just as well.

Paddle tire is mandatory for the dunes. I run about 9 PSI in the rear tire, but the real key is to run your front tire almost flat. Last year I popped the tube on the second trip of the season and never replaced it cause the bike rode so much better with no air in the front. Try to run it around 1 PSI. If you don't believe me, start at three and then take some out.....you'll feel it right away.

The key to riding in the dunes is that the bike is unhappy unless there is power on the rear tire. Roll the power on really smooth and when you want to slow down, roll it off, allowing the engine to brake. You'll feel really unstable when there's no power on the rear tire.

Don't listen to this guy, bike hauls ass through the dunes, it's got plenty of speed, especially if it's your first time out there.

Enjoy dude, can't beat riding in the dunes....can't wait for our first trip of the year! 2 more weeks to Halloween in Glamis!

Yeah dont listen to me; I own and ride both bikes regularly which I bought brand new. I've been wrenching bikes for over 15 years now. Have any of you looked at the valves and porting in a KLX head vs the KX head? BIG difference, especially on the exhaust side. You think the KLX has nuts until you ride a KX back to back. To guys like me that ride WOT and hammer out the big dunes, the KLX is very noticeably down on power when compared to my KX. Only way to match power levels is to get a KX cylinder head. Or spend a ton getting the KLX head ported, bigger valves, etc... Hotcams helped but I wish I would have just bought a stock KX head instead.

Look all Im trying to say is that if you go duning and your buddies are riding 450 MXers you are going to be dissapointed trying to keep up with them. The KLX is much more at home on the trails, which is the only place I ride mine anymore. If Im in the sand Im on my KX with a 10-paddle. Staying on the throttle is good advice. Pin and pray!

Cheers!!

Yeah dont listen to me; I own and ride both bikes regularly which I bought brand new. I've been wrenching bikes for over 15 years now. Have any of you looked at the valves and porting in a KLX head vs the KX head? BIG difference, especially on the exhaust side. You think the KLX has nuts until you ride a KX back to back. To guys like me that ride WOT and hammer out the big dunes, the KLX is very noticeably down on power when compared to my KX. Only way to match power levels is to get a KX cylinder head. Or spend a ton getting the KLX head ported, bigger valves, etc... Hotcams helped but I wish I would have just bought a stock KX head instead.

Look all Im trying to say is that if you go duning and your buddies are riding 450 MXers you are going to be dissapointed trying to keep up with them. The KLX is much more at home on the trails, which is the only place I ride mine anymore. If Im in the sand Im on my KX with a 10-paddle. Staying on the throttle is good advice. Pin and pray!

Cheers!!

There is a lot more differences between the two bikes than just the head. When I did ride the dunes back in the day it was on a KX5oo and a quadzilla.👍

Cheers!!

I've never rode a KX450 but I have to believe you are right in the noticable power delivery. An enduro bike will produce a lot of power through the middle, but it will never match the power of a KX up top. My KLX rips up top but I would'nt compare it to a WOT KX!👍

Apologies, I did not mean to imply that the kx is not a faster more powerful bike, only that the klx is more than powerful enough for the biggest dunes, especially for someone who has never ridden in the sand before....

I've never rode a KX450 but I have to believe you are right in the noticable power delivery. An enduro bike will produce a lot of power through the middle, but it will never match the power of a KX up top. My KLX rips up top but I would'nt compare it to a WOT KX!👍

The guy is talking about top end power. Mind you this is just a on a

dry lake bed I have beaten all of the 450s on the top end WFO and it is pretty dam funny when you here them hit the rev limiter and the KLX just keeps going. If you put the KX head and lets not forget the most important thing the fly wheel. It would be the beast of all beasts.:ride:

Little Sahara , Oklahoma. Bike ran great ! I can tell it does need more top end power though. A KX would have been great during the day , but the night rides are fun to. Maybe I'll add a KX head on and try that mod.

LittleSahara083.jpg

Edited by Pit_Man
adding comment