Sign in to follow this  

Tranny Oil Question for a 2008

Hey everyone,

2008 CRF450r

I know that everyone has differing opinions on what oil to use, as I have read almost every post back to 2003 regarding this issue, but I am still unclear on one thing.

In my YZ125, I used Honda's 80w/85w tranny oil without any trouble.

hon_06_hp_tra_oil.jpg

I will be riding mostly during the winter and changing the transmission oil every couple rides. Would the transmission and clutch benefit from the 80w/85w, and is it even safe to use? Should I just stick with the 10w40 that I will be using in the top end?

I don't want to strike up a large debate, as there are plenty already, but I am a bit unclear on this.

I will be using Honda's GN4 10w40 in the top end and I'll change it every 4-6 hours because I cannot afford to change out synthetic too often.

hon_06_gn4_10_40.jpg

Thanks for any advice...

Personally, I just use Rotella. It's cheap, it works, and it's convenient (i.e. you can get it at any walmart). I use it in both the engine side and the transmission side. As a result, you don't have to buy two different oils.

If you change the oil that often, it doesn't really matter what you put in it as long as the tranny oil isn't labeled "energy conserving".

Thanks for the information!

I will be using Honda's GN4 in the engine, but I am considering the Honda Tranny oil for the clutch and tranny. Is this good or bad for the clutch? Also, I heard that the metals in the transmission may not work well with anything but engine oil. Does anyone know if this is true?

I would use Rotella, but I have something against Shell. In fact, I hate Shell. I'm sure the oil is better than the rip-off gas that destroyed one of my Acura's a few years back, but I can't bring myself to purchase the Rotella. The Honda GN4 is around the same price. Is the Rotella better than the GN4?

Ive been using the same honda trans oil as you have pictured in every dirt bike i've owned for well over a decade with excellent results. Honda cr125 & 250,crf450r,yamaha yz250,kaw kx125. I get great clutch life & shifting.

dont use that GN4 junk in a 450, maybe a crf 50 lol, but not a born and bred race machine. run the HP4M in the motor, and either rotella 15w40 or the honda hp trans oil in the trans. if you cant afford to put good oil in a bike, you shouldnt have the bike. a bike will only be as good to you as you are to it. moly oil in the motor is cheap insurance. i believe lucas and bel ray both make moly/friction modified oils you can run in the motor side. dont skimp on oil, your engine absolutely NEEDS the best oil you can buy.

dont use that GN4 junk in a 450, maybe a crf 50 lol, but not a born and bred race machine. run the HP4M in the motor, and either rotella 15w40 or the honda hp trans oil in the trans. if you cant afford to put good oil in a bike, you shouldnt have the bike. a bike will only be as good to you as you are to it. moly oil in the motor is cheap insurance. i believe lucas and bel ray both make moly/friction modified oils you can run in the motor side. dont skimp on oil, your engine absolutely NEEDS the best oil you can buy.

👍:ride:

I'm confused. The manual says that I should not use products with Moly in them. Is this specific to just the transmission? What is the benefit to having Moly in the motor oil? Thanks.

I'm confused. The manual says that I should not use products with Moly in them. Is this specific to just the transmission? What is the benefit to having Moly in the motor oil? Thanks.

Moly will make your clutch slip if you use it in the tranny.

If you want a good oil that is inexpensive and is wet clutch compatible, use Super Tech 15w40 from Walmart. Runs about $9 a gallon. I've been using it in all my bikes for the last 3 years and it has performed flawlessly.

Rotella works great for these bikes. On a side note, I was watching "The Moto: Inside the Outdoors" last night and on the bench at the factory KTM shop was a jug of Rotella.

Hey everyone,

2008 CRF450r

I know that everyone has differing opinions on what oil to use, as I have read almost every post back to 2003 regarding this issue, but I am still unclear on one thing.

In my YZ125, I used Honda's 80w/85w tranny oil without any trouble.

hon_06_hp_tra_oil.jpg

I will be riding mostly during the winter and changing the transmission oil every couple rides. Would the transmission and clutch benefit from the 80w/85w, and is it even safe to use? Should I just stick with the 10w40 that I will be using in the top end?

I don't want to strike up a large debate, as there are plenty already, but I am a bit unclear on this.

I will be using Honda's GN4 10w40 in the top end and I'll change it every 4-6 hours because I cannot afford to change out synthetic too often.

hon_06_gn4_10_40.jpg

Thanks for any advice...

Thats what I use in my 08, buy it by the gallon and change it frequently.....never had a problem even with a Rekluse clutch. I run the semi syn Honda stuff in the motor and change it every couple rides depending on how much abuse it gets.

Rotella works great for these bikes. On a side note, I was watching "The Moto: Inside the Outdoors" last night and on the bench at the factory KTM shop was a jug of Rotella.

Haha! Awesome! Better hope Motorex doesn't see that!

Most any diesel oil will work well. I like delo400, Rotella t and Delvac. For the tranny I like ATF type F the best. Comes out allot cleaner than rotella. I change oil every other ride unless I spend a good hard day flogging it.

Thanks everyone!

I have decided to try different combinations until I am happy with the results. I am starting out with GN4 (until I run out) and the HP tranny oil. I am thinking of trying DELO400 after a few hours of this because I cannot find Rotella anywhere within 30 miles of me (Oak Hills, California). Thanks again!

never use moly in the trans side, it will roast your clutch instantly upon engagement, the benfit of moly in the motor is that there is never a metal to metal contact when oil gets scarce, the moly creates a shield on the metal parts and if/when there is an emergency oil situation, the parts dont rub on eachother, but on thin coating of the moly additive. when my big end rod bearing went, it didnt lock up, i could still start it, it just didnt rev out and revved down very fast, i attribute this save to moly, the stuff is magic. theres a reason youll see bel ray friction modified oil going into Chad Reed's 450. its just that much better.

Wal Mart didn't have Rotella? There show to be three within 10 miles of the city you posted.

Supertech is also a good alternative.

Run the Walmart Supertech 15w40. It actually performs better than Rotella and costs less money.

I ran GN4 in my engine and transmission since my 2006 CRF450. I just recently switched to using Rotella in the transmission, and haven't noticed any decrease in performance. Half the price too!

Wal Mart didn't have Rotella? There show to be three within 10 miles of the city you posted.

Supertech is also a good alternative.

The Walmarts around me do not carry Rotella. There are two shops near me that normally carry it, but they are out.

Cam, you mentioned that Supertech is better than the Rotella. What is your opinion on Delo?

Cam, you mentioned that Supertech is better than the Rotella. What is your opinion on Delo?

I've never used Delo. I have used Rotella and Supertech for many years. Someone here once posted his used oil lab analysis and the Supertech performed better than the Rotella. My results have been similar.

It's always nice to discover a product that works better and saves you money.