Sign in to follow this  

Some 1 help my hands and wrists are going numb?

I dont know if its carpal tunnel or what but from my elbows/forearm to my wrists and hands are numb and hot searing pain.Its getting to the point I cant feel the bike or hold onto the bike anymore even tho I try to not white knuckle the bike and ride fluidly and relaxed.Im only 36 IM not ready to give up riding yet.Does any 1 have any remedies?I never broke any upper body bones either if that helps-Thanks for the replies

Could it be from vibration? Sometimes vibration can cause numbness and lack of feeling. A quick google search turned up this:

http://labor.alaska.gov/lss/pads/hand-arm.htm

That page looks helpful even though it talks about tools causing vibration. I can assume it's similar to what a dirt bike can do.

Another thing and probably the most common thing in dirt biking is arm pump.

As for prevention, make sure your hands and arms are in natural position. Have your handlebars set up properly and so on. Confidence on the bike also helps since you'll be more relaxed (you did say you ride relaxed anyway, that's good). If it's vibration, gloves can help. They also have handlebars and mounts that can prevent vibration (you're not going to get rid of all vibration though). A dialed in suspension can really help too.

I had the same problem for about a year and was considering the surgery.

I started stretching 3-4 times a day and it sured my "sleepy" hands! The stretching has helped 3-4 others that I know from having to go in under the knife.👍

Here are the 3 strestches to do 3-4 times a day. It will take around 3-4 weks to see results.

Sit on the ground with your legs straight out in front of you. Put your hands behind your hips, with your fingers aimed towards your feet.

Lean forward, straighten your elbows and force your palms to the ground. Hold for 15-20 seconds and then shake your hands out and massage with your thumb on the palm side of your wrist.. Repeat 2 more times. You should feel the stretch in your fingers, wrists and forearms.

Standing up in a normal stance, put your hands together. Keep your fingers/palms together and force your hands towards the ground. Hold for 15-20 seconds and then shake your hands out and massage your wrist with your thumb. Repeat 2 times. You should feel the stretch in your wrist, forearm and fingers.

Here is a link to a strectching video that shows both stretches.:ride:

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=988837

Let me know how it goes!

Have a great day!

Jason

One thing I forgot to mention, is make sure you are gripping super hard with your knees so you are not using your arms so much!

One drill I do at my schools to teach how much you should be gripping with your knees is called the "one armed drill". Make sure you have meduim sized hill to go up and down and a few corners in your small loop.

Rules of the drill are:

front brake only

standing up

left hand on your hip

You will be amazed at how much you have to grip with your knees to keep from flying off the bike! If your right arm gets tired fast, it shows you that you are not gripping enough with your knees!

Most students end up with bruises on their knees after the drill because you have to grip so hard!

Give that a try too, great drill to learn how much you should be gripping to help not to have to use so much arm strength to ride.

Jason

I have been using the Vibranator inserts for some time now. They help tremendously. Best mod I have made in the last few years:thumbsup:

I am also having a problem with arm pump. I have ridden dirtbikes since I was like 8, and I can still ride hard for hours out in the desert. I just started riding tracks because I moved to the east coast and after just a few laps at the track, I can barely hold on. I really do not understand it, maybe it is all the jumps or just braking bumps or something.

I think it is possibly my suspension, it was done by factory connection in CA but then the seals on the forks broke and i just took it to some local shop in NC. Ever since then my suspension just doesn't feel right like its too hard, but that is even with the clickers turned all the way out.

Any ideas?

Here is something to try to help your arm pump. I have given this remedy to many and most everybody says it stops their arm pump.

--

Start this procedure about an 30 min-1 hour before your ride/race

-Use a hand squeeze tool or tennis ball and squeeze it as hard and fast as you can until your arms are so pumped you cannot squeeze anymore.

-After your arms are "totally" pumped, take ace bandage and wrap it as tight as you can from your wrist all the way to your elbow as TIGHT as possible. The tighter you wrap it the better.

-Hold your arm above your head for 1-3 minutes (if you can stand more than 3 mimutes you didn't do something correct). If it hurts, that means you did the procedure right!

-Un-wrap ace bandage form arm and repeat with other arm.

Let me know if this helps!

Jason

www.rainesracing.com

That bandage wrap sounds so crazy I am going to try it! I get horrible hand / wrist numb fingers when I ride. Force Factor or any Nitric Oxcide booster will help, has been a total blessing for me. Getting totally warmed up before I ride, whether that means riding slow laps standing or doing drills like Jason states or even running 20 min before I go out.

The Flex bars have been the best investment so far, not the magic cure all but I can hold a pencil the next day which is really important for my job.

I am confused on working on out, I work out 3-4 days a week and some weekends are better than others with my hands so I have no idea what I am doing that affects it. LIke everyone the older I get the slower I get but I am learning to just relax and not worry about my speed and my hands give me less problems. Sure I get passed a lot but I am not the slowest guy out there either and I can still do all the jumps. I have noticed wearing my carpal brace during the week and sleeping with it has helped a lot. And like everyoe says, squeeze that bike with your knees, your hands are there to operate the controls not hang on for dear life.

Everybody body is so different. Some exercises really cause some arm pump and others no arm pump/hand problems! I have talked to many riders that have never, ever felt arm pump or the hands going numb thing. Lucky them, I tell them they aren't missing anything that's for sure.

For me anything associated with hands/arms/forearms/biceps while in the gym causes me to have arm pump as well as the hand numbness. Exercises such as bicep curls, wrist curls, reverse hand curls, etc causes me bad problems.

But like I said, everyone is so different when it comes to what affects them either good or bad. I learnded on my side just form trial and error what works/does not work for me.

For me, warming up before the race, massaging my arms/wrist, gripping with my knees more, and staying away from the above exercises helps my arms/hands the most.

Wish you all the best, maybe you should try laying off the weight lifiting at the gym all together for a few weeks just to see if that helps.

Talk to you soon,

Jason

Saw my ortho today she is convinced I do not have carpal but have an outward postured head from sitting behind a computer and drafting table all day. cant remember the medical term she used. Gave me some excersises to shorten my neck musles and strengthen them since using better posture at my job is not possible. Hope this helps a bit, makes sense with everything she said and I totally have the horrible knots at the base of my skull she said I should have so I am with her on this for now

That is good that you found the problem and it is not in your wrists! Now atleast you have a direction to go! That should make you excited that if you keep up with the exercises your numbess will go away!

Happy trails,

Jason