Sign in to follow this  

vertex pistons

had one in my 2009 kxf 250, i re ringed it at 25 hours and still looked new sold the bike with 40 hours on it ran great. very good quality IMO. i will be using one again in my new bike.

indy rider, i see you have stage 1 intake and stage2 ex. i tried stage 1 then stage 2 in my kxf 250, i was thinking of doing stage 1 in and 2 ex like you. do u recomend it or how do u like it and did u ever try both stage 2

indy rider, i see you have stage 1 intake and stage2 ex. i tried stage 1 then stage 2 in my kxf 250, i was thinking of doing stage 1 in and 2 ex like you. do u recomend it or how do u like it and did u ever try both stage 2

I've never ran both stg2. I did run both stg1 but I went to the 1-2 combo when I did the BB kit and the porting. It's hard to tell exactly what each individual mod did because I did all the engine mods at the same time. What I do know is that I absolutely love this set-up. It pulls like a beast off the bottom, mid hits like a supercharger and it revs to the moon.

im going to try it and see. with the stage1 cams it hits hard a pull but i hit the rev limiter to fast and with the stage 2 cams some tracks are harder to ride. i have been doing one mood at a time to see what each one is doing. after this i am going to do a cylinder works 269bb kit with the vetex piton. im not going to port this bike i did my last one from yosh yes it was good but not worth the money IMO.

thanks to the people that gave me your opinion but not to the ones who decided to talk about something else

sorry, but i wonder why people get mad about that, these fourms take on a life of there own sometimes.

Was about to install a Vortex in my 2008 ktm 250 sxf and noticed:

- No orientation marking on the compression ring.

-Way smaller oil holes (scraper ring) in the Vertex than the oem.

-Way thinner skirt on the Vertex.

-No deburring on top of piston, leaving very sharp edges (pre-ignition)

Any professional engine builder opinions on these?

I'm not a professional engine builder but sharp edges can't cause pre-ignition because aluminum doesn't retain heat like steel does and any burs would simply burn off.  Also the edge of the piston isn't involved in ignition, it is basically a squish band designed to push air-fuel into the centre of the combustion chamber.

Thin skirts and nowadays a v short skirt are all about reducing the weight of the piston.  That actually a good thing as it will reduce the forces involved in the piston going up and down at high velocity.