Sign in to follow this  

Old suspension could use an overhaul

I've got a 1991 RM125, they have showa forks and shock for anyone interested.

Anywho I have a problem with my compression and rebound adjusters, on the front forks the rebound adjusters (bottom of the fork) turn, click and stop correctly, though I'm not sure if they make any difference. The clickers on the top of the forks turn and click but they do not stop. I replaced the fork seals recently and had a look, I'm not sure if there's supposed to be a little needle with a spring on one end of the thin pushrod in the centre but I found nothing like that.

On the rear shock the clickers work fine but they do not seem to alter the compression or rebound damping, i tried setting both to full soft and then full hard to compare the difference but I didn't notice any, now that I realise these don't work I understand why riding out on the trails has been a bit of a handful for me due to the damping being stuck on a very soft setting. There doesn't seem to be any oil leaking from the rear shock but for all i know it could have all leaked out years ago. it still has nice smooth movement though

Anyway, Does anyone know what the problem could be, particularly with the rear shock, and would I still be able to fix problems on a 20 year old suspension system?

the shock is not any different from a modern one in function , sounds like the oil is so thin it's not damping at all

the forks , I think it should have a pushrod

so it's possibly gone missing at some stage

Is the Pushrod the long thin tube with a D shape at either end? because both of those were intact and in good condition.

I didn't pull the fork right down because I didn't have a tool to hold the inner tube so that I could undo the locknut on top. I just reassembled it from that point because I didn't want to try to pull it apart any further in case i did damage.

Also, when I push down on the rear suspension I can hear a sucking noise on compression and a sucking bubbling noise on rebound. Where as I don't hear that on my brother's '05 YZF250.

Maybe it'll be an easy fix, not too expensive, I hope so.

Is the Pushrod the long thin tube with a D shape at either end? because both of those were intact and in good condition.

I didn't pull the fork right down because I didn't have a tool to hold the inner tube so that I could undo the locknut on top. I just reassembled it from that point because I didn't want to try to pull it apart any further in case i did damage.

Also, when I push down on the rear suspension I can hear a sucking noise on compression and a sucking bubbling noise on rebound. Where as I don't hear that on my brother's '05 YZF250.

Maybe it'll be an easy fix, not too expensive, I hope so.

On the shock, its well overdue for a freshen up. New fluid and nitrogen will do the trick.

sounds like it's full of air , time to send for a rebuild , on the forks you need to compare both sides