Sign in to follow this  

2.6 IMS tank getting lots of tiny cracks

I have the 2.6 IMS natural tank and it is developing lots of small cracks or splits at the surface. It is not leaking yet, but I am expecting it to if this continues. Has anyone else had this happen? Also, if this is an inherent problem, has anyone used the Clarke 3.6 tank? It is also made for the E model only, but I have my DRZ set up to accept an E tank already. The Clark 3.6 looks like it has a flat profile like the 2.6IMS, but that can be deceiving from pictures. Any input would help. BTW that IMS tank is 5 years old.

1: No, neither of my IMS tanks have cracks. My 3.2 has been on the DRZ since 2003. The 2.6 is only installed for specific events, but is a few years old.. It is my second one, the first had a hole melted in when my son misplaced a torch.

2: No other tank has the profile of an IMS 2.6. If you like what it does to flatten the seat, and the width / height of the tank itself, then stick with that tank. As no other one can match it.

I recently purchased a used DRZ with what i believe is the IMS 2.6 tank. It's got tons of little cracks towards the fill area> Almost like its dryrotting or something. Tank is clear just like yours. I haven't been able to find any info about it, it kind of freaks me out though.

Has anyone recently ordered a new 2.6 tank from IMS? TT does not list it. It is not listed on the web site I got it from the first time. Is this discontinued or a special order tank now? There is enough splits that I don't trust it on a long ride, I like the profile this tank gives for riding so unless there is another tank close to this profile I want to get a new one. The 3.6 Clark looked close in pictures, does anyone have this tank or have they they see it in person?

Never mind, found on IMS site to buy direct. I'm still curious about the 3.6 Clarke tank if anyone has used one, it's made for the E model.

Has anyone recently ordered a new 2.6 tank from IMS? TT does not list it. It is not listed on the web site I got it from the first time. Is this discontinued or a special order tank now? There is enough splits that I don't trust it on a long ride, I like the profile this tank gives for riding so unless there is another tank close to this profile I want to get a new one. The 3.6 Clark looked close in pictures, does anyone have this tank or have they they see it in person?

It's always been a special order tank, but is available though TT or direct from IMS

i bought one off ebay.

justgastanks.com was selling them there(on ebay) & on their own website.

price was slightly less on ebay .

it took a long time to get the tank so plan ahead.