Sign in to follow this  

91 cr125 need help setting up the forks

Long story short I picked up a 91 cr125 to start getting into motocross. I changed the oil in the forks and replaced the seals. Now the compression is good but off bigger jumps that I don't quite clear when I hit the landing the bike bounces back up causing front wheel to come off the ground. I tried changing my body position but nothing seems to change it. I'm pretty sure is due to there not being enough rebound dampening. I used 5wt oil and filled the forks to the standard height recommended in the manual. I am a smaller rider (5'5 female 135 lbs with gear on) any recommendations?

Most manuals will have symptoms for how the bikes suspension reacts to certain sections of a track and what to adjust to get a better result, if the front end bounces I would say you need to make the rebound softer by turning the screws on your forks out, look in the service manual for which screw on the fork adjusts the rebound damping (some are on top, some are on the bottom) and set it to the standard, try jumping the bike again and if it does the same thing turn the screw to the left (softer) a couple clicks and try again.

Seeing as you're lighter it will probably need to be softer as it doesn't require as much force to lift you and the bike back up after you land.

Most manuals will have symptoms for how the bikes suspension reacts to certain sections of a track and what to adjust to get a better result, if the front end bounces I would say you need to make the rebound softer by turning the screws on your forks out, look in the service manual for which screw on the fork adjusts the rebound damping (some are on top, some are on the bottom) and set it to the standard, try jumping the bike again and if it does the same thing turn the screw to the left (softer) a couple clicks and try again.

Seeing as you're lighter it will probably need to be softer as it doesn't require as much force to lift you and the bike back up after you land.

I really wish it was that easy. On the 91 forks there is no rebound adjuster. The only way to adjust rebound is to change the weight/volume of the fork oil. I was looking for any recomendations on where to start with oil volume/ weight as I currently have stock specs on oil and volume and the rebound is too fast

I suppose lowering the oil level would soften things up.

But even if your fork doesn't have a rebound adjuster it must still have a valve to control the rebound damping, maybe it's not working as it should?