Sign in to follow this  

Son needs a new bike

He is turning 6 this month. He has been riding a JR50 the past year and has really started riding over the JR50's capabilities lately, jumping and forks bottoming hard. I have made a small track behind our house where he has been riding almost every day. If he keeps beating up the JR there wont be anything left of it for his younger brother... 👍 The bike is also looking a bit small for him.

I have put a 11 front sprocket on, drilled the airbox and a 70 main jet. The speed is enough but the frame cant handle it...

There is a 2004 KX65 available locally at the moment. I know its way too big for him, but could it be lowered enough to be rideable for a 6 yo?

Here is a video of him riding:

What do you think?

Here is another video, he's going WOT on that jump and bottoming on landing.

you are only able to lower the kx so far using the links, forks, and shaved seat.

if you dont mind the maintenance, a ktm or cobra would be a step up for him.

You need suspension for jumping, and your real options are KTM, Cobra, KX65. Six is a little small for the KX unless he is tall. You can only lower it (inexpensively) about 1 1/2", (raise forks and longer dogbones) but you could shave the seat, too. Take him to sit on it to find out. My boy started on his KX at 8, lowered about 1 1/2". Still not ready to raise it back up yet at 9. But we can race it up through 13 unless he outgrows it.

KTMs are a good choice for that age. Bad thing is he will be out of it in a year, or two at best. Some models are fairly maintenance intensive.

I have no experience with a cobra.

Edited by gsa102
more info

As much as I love messing with the PW80, this along with the TT-R90 are a bad choice if he's trying to jump a JR50. The frames of these Yamaha trail bikes are not built to handle that kind of use.

You could put a KX60 suspension on the PW80 and probably the TT-R90 as they're almost identical frame wise, but I think you're better off buying one of the boutique bikes made for this age group's intense riders.

Yea, last week I welded the muffler back on a TTR-90 for my nephew, who was jumping it. And landing with a "clank" every time.

Is he racing? I would go with a KTM50SXS or Pro Senior and possibly King Cobra, although I don't much care for Cobra, personally. A 65 is an option, we lowered ours for our 8 year-old, again forks, shock, seat shaving. Unless he is tall at 6, he may have trouble reaching the controls effectively, let alone get a foot down. He can ride in the 50 class through the age of 9 (depending on birthday). So you could be looking at 2-3 years on a faster larger 50, before you get into learning a clutch and so on. I would go to a dealer and have him just sit on a 65 and that will be more telling than us trying to guess. If you do decide to go with a larger 50, you can always keep your eye out for a good deal on a 65 in the interim and maybe get it and let him slowly transition.

lem RX65-17.6hp@13,000rpm=the most fun for anyone over 8 stone in which case the front end will not stay down no matter what but under that and the wheels just hook up.

look at my pic that a lem

My seven year old twins are now just getting comfortable with a Honda XR70 and Yammy PW80 after 3 years on a KTM SXR 50 and Lem LX-2. The 65 is probably more powerfull, and full shift with clutch so his skill, and your riding area will determine what he can handle.