Sign in to follow this  

agressive throttle response

After looking on TT, I could not find a matching thread on this topic; Thus:

A while back I messed with my engine idle knob on the carb of my 2003 wr250f. Since then in runs flawlessly, and can do anything I want my bike to do. However, my throttle is excessively snappy. From idle to giving it gas, the engine jumps an incredible amount in RPM. Even if I give the throttle the most minute twist, my engine revs to the point that the bike LURCHES forward.

I have gotten used to this, and this is useful when i'm riding slow in a technical trail, and need to wheelie over something. But quite frankly its a little annoying still. It feels like it idles at say 1,000 rmp (guessing), then when I give it the smallest amount of throttle, it jumps up to 4-5,000rmp.

-there is no inbetween really. Its either idling or boosted up to that rmp or higher depending on throttle usage

I figure it is due to one or more reasons:

1) i messed with the engine idle.

2) grey wire mod from previous owner.

3) all wr250's are like this

I checked...my grey wire is still connected.

What is your opinion? The snappiness is abrupt and noticable.

I have a second question: we've all heard how the grey wire mod changes timing to Yzf mapping. However...does it increase engine wear (or is it actually HEALTHIER for the engine?)( or does it depend on if you do the associated unbaffling and throttle stop). Thanks in advance for help.

----jay

Does the idle adjuster on the carb actually control your idle speed and is the stop on the throttle wheel in contact with the stop screw?

When you have the cover off the side of the carb checking this, make sure there is a smooth action in the cables and throttle wheel when you gently twist the throttle.

Have you done any of the free mods? You should do them. No the grey wire mod does not shorten engine life. As far as the eratic throttle goes you might want to pull the carb and give it a very thorough cleaning and check for vacuum leaks

No i have not done the free mods, but I was considering adding a high current waterproof switch that interrupts the grey wire. That way I can turn YzF mapping on and off.

As for free mods....when replacing my left radiator (just got done doing 300$ in repairs after a crash...) I did notice the grey wire in the bundle of 6 wires. Man i wanted to just snip it there.. But I want that switch in there instead. Also, removing the baffle I hear can shorten engine life a little. For the snorkel around the air intake.....I dont think it's been removed. But I may consider doing it. My bike is amazing for its year (2003), and has plenty of power. But to be honest it would be great if it didn't bog when going 50mph and I give it full throttle. Perhaps the mods are on the way

In response to snatchy throttle on the wr250f the first thing you need to do is buy a G2 throttle tamer. I put one on my bike and it was amazing at how smooth it became. Very easy install and not to expensive if the snatchiness irritates you as much as it did me.