98 cre 250?

its a NON US model that is street legal.

wide ratio tranny, legal stuff like lights and fuel tank, lighting coil.

jjrace is incorrect i think. The bike he is thinking of is the crm250. The 98 cre250 was initially a kitted cr250. Had wide ratio trans, lights, revalved susp. kickstand,. The transformation was done in Italy I believe. Then, Kevin Hines started having the kits imported to the us and you could pic and choose your options, he would sell you a kit or a whole bike I think. It was a expensive deal either way and they were most popular in the Northeast. Dirt Bike magazine did a test on one in late 97 or 98. All in all it would be hard to guess exactly what you have as the option list was long. Things like 18" wheerls, pipe guards, engine covers, etc. may have been changed over the years or the bike may have never come with them.

are they set for woods?

no dual sport. I believe the 98 CRE250 was still steel frame also. MotoSport Hillsboro had one a while back for sale.

well, whatever, I googled cre 250 and the only bike that came up was the bike I described. I am positive that honda made a steel framed dual sport 250 available oversees dubbed the crm250, very popular in the UK. Im also positive that kevin hines built the stateside cre250 based on the aluminum frame motocrosser.

• Like 1

seems like there is very little info of Non US models out there. case in point different models like the KDX SR series, suzuki still makes 2 strokes outside of the US, etc etc

thus a lot of confusion from the limited informaion.

any way just picked up a mint 98 al cre250 for $1500 going to make a sweet sm!

• Like 1

The early model CRE's were complete bikes imported from Italy by Kevin Hines. At some point American Honda put a stop to complete Honda bikes being imported into the US by anyone other than themselves so Hines imported the parts and performed the conversions here in the US or sold parts to CR owners who did their own CRE conversions.

depending on how mint & original it is, you might wantto leave it alone and sell it to a collector/enduro enthusiast. What color are the plastics? Who knows you might even have a test bike!

426 I'd LOVE to see some pics please post up! That's a very rare bike and I think you scored big 👍

From my memory and based off what the 96 and 97 Dirt Rider Magazine 250cc shootouts I have collected say I don't believe the CRE's came with a wide ratio box. Close spacing was the main complaint in the test between some of the other 2T legends (WR, RMX, ATK to name a few) The 97 did have the AF and Hines offered a Paioli conventional fork upgrade to take some of the harshness out of the frame. 18" wheels, an E-line stator, suspension work and/or optional fork upgrades and a few other options were there. While the CRE's were an awesome idea (and I'd love to have one) its my belief that you could build the same bike for less money.

Pretty sure it was acrebis maybe ufo those where the only two manufacturers then. Almost certain it was acrebis over ufo there was no cycra or polisport then. Definitely not maier.

Those parts bikes where built by HM honda italy which is still around. I think I have the dirt bike issue that tested the steel vs the aluminum frame version.

Wonder who made the plastics & lights, trying

to duplicate one

You may duplicate the look and lighting but not the trans. No longer available.

Posted (edited)

Speaking of transmissions, a lot of you probably know that the 2000 and newer cr250r has the same transmission as the first crf450's. Crfs only had gear sets with higher 4th and 5th gears. Everything fits as far back as 92, if someone wanted to do some recreating. 

Edited by ossagp1
  • Helpful 1

That would work in my 03 Cr 250 if I ever have to split the cases. I ride 97 CRE in the woods and the 03 Cr on tracks. Wife ordered me a set of the “factory Woody/Carmichael” graphics for my birthday so the 03 is about to be getting a new look!

• Like 1