Those Annoying Little Breathers...

Everyone knows what I'm talking about. Those stupid little breathers on top of the cylinder for the P/V. Mine keep falling off. I've tried RTV, and JB weld, and no go. I know they're only like $12.00 but I'm on a little bit of a budget getting ready for the winter months.

My next option is brazing them. Does anyone know much about the capilary effect? I know this is how solder works with copper. Will this work if I dip the brass section of the breather in flux and put the top portion back on, heat it up and drip some rod around the edges? Do you think the brass will melt before the filler rod?

I know this is kind of a dumb thing to be concerned about, but I'm sick of all the crap coming out and coating the top half of my motor in oil and dirt. It looks bad.

i just used Permatex 16B it's a high temp black adhesive RTV. have gone 3 races and many other practices and riding hours and hasn't moved. you just have to make sure that the surface is clean and give it a full 24 hours to set....

but yes, i think soldering it the way you said would work, but i don't think it would hold up to the vibrations solder is just too soft for that location. just my opionion of course, but i do have extensive experience with electronic and small component solder inspection and training.

Jb weld or a HIGH TEMP RTV would be best i would think.

squeeze the end w/ a pliers and make it a little bit oval shaped, coat it w/ sealer and tap it in.

This...or what I did was take a center punch and inserted it in the hole of the brass piece and hammer it around until it was a tad wider and then siliconed it and tapped it in. I also had my pv cap off and tapped the inside of it toward the edge of the hole to sort of booger it up so it won't slide out.

Thanks everyone! I tried the solder idea, and melted the aluminium part kind of bad. So I'm going to have to order new ones anyway. I have access to some nice brass fittings and a machine shop, so I'm going to try to make my own. I'll post pics if I succeed.

Thanks everyone! I tried the solder idea, and melted the aluminium part kind of bad. So I'm going to have to order new ones anyway. I have access to some nice brass fittings and a machine shop, so I'm going to try to make my own. I'll post pics if I succeed.

if you have access to a machine shop, why don't you just buy the new fittings and press them into the cylinder? the replacement OEM fittings for that are not that expensive if i remember correctly. you just need to press fit them into the cylinder which is why most people go with a band-air fix, but if you have access to a machine shop you are set.

if you have access to a machine shop, why don't you just buy the new fittings and press them into the cylinder? the replacement OEM fittings for that are not that expensive if i remember correctly. you just need to press fit them into the cylinder which is why most people go with a band-air fix, but if you have access to a machine shop you are set.

I didn't have to buy the machine shop....the breathers are $12.00 each. I don't mind spending the $24.00, but sometimes I like to try new things. Maybe build something stronger/better than stock? Plus, the top of the cylinder would look really nice with some super trick custom brass breathers. I'm gonna give it a go and see what I can come up with.

I didn't have to buy the machine shop....the breathers are $12.00 each. I don't mind spending the $24.00, but sometimes I like to try new things. Maybe build something stronger/better than stock? Plus, the top of the cylinder would look really nice with some super trick custom brass breathers. I'm gonna give it a go and see what I can come up with.

In the end, they are just vents nothing more. So i say go for it. as long as air can escape the hole you are good to go.

if you end up doing th custom thing, post up some pics. ?