Sign in to follow this  

'01 to '02 Spoke/Hub Diff's?

Hey guys. I have to replace my rear rim (2001 CR250) after it cracked at the seam a couple of weekends ago.

I've already pulled apart my rear wheel and have decided to reuse the spokes, because they were in really good shape to begin with and came apart easily. Obviously, I would replace them if I had the budget. So not lectures please.

Just wondering if there were any changes in the spokes or hubs from '01 to '02 on up?

I was looking at the Excel Notako rims, and on the site it specs the same part # rim for '01-'07 Cr250's, but it also states that OEM spokes will not work for '01 and WILL work for the '02 +.

http://www.notako.com/application.html

BTW, I have also looked into the other Excels, DNA, Warp 9, Moose, Pro Wheel, and D.I.D. rims.

DID Dirt Star rims are designed to work with the stock spokes.

They do, but I can only find applications for the '02-'07 CR/CRF's. So there must be a change in nipple dia or angle on the previous bikes?

Has anyone ever laced a '02+ rim to a '01- spoke/hub or vice versa?

Yeah, I'm also wondering if in the switch from steel to aluminum nipples, the nipple diameter changed. Therefore the holes in the rims are different diameters.

I talked to RK Excel today. They said that, typically, the holes in their rims are ~8.5mm.

So, I'm gonna take some measurements on my stock setup when I get home tonight.

I do know for a fact that rear spoke wrench size is 6.5mm. Just for reference.

It's funny, b/c Pro Wheel and several others list the same part # for spokes '89-'08 and rims '96-'08.

It's funny, b/c Pro Wheel and several others list the same part # for spokes '89-'08 and rims '96-'08.

probably cause they are more of a generic fit.

The rear spoke lengths on my 95 and 08 are the same. My guess is you can lace an older CR hub with late model CR/CRF rims and spokes as long as they are 36 front, 32 rear.

Man, I wish I knew the D.I.D. rims would bolt up to my 2001 spokes!

I think I'm just going to go with the Pro Wheel. They say it bolts up to stock spokes.

Well I ended up ordering a Pro Wheel from Motosport.com, for $120 shipped. Placed the order yesterday afternoon and tracking says it'll be here today!

So, I'll get it laced up this weekend (to my stock spokes and hub)and hopefully get out to the track next weekend.

I'll definitely post my experience with it.

BTW, thanks for everyone's input.