Sign in to follow this  

Pavement Riding Debi?

Hey Debi and all,

I rode a 150 mile adventure ride yesterday in New Hampshire. The New England Folliage was beautiful. The was quite a bit of pavement riding, going as fast as 40 mph, maybe faster. I was hesitant to look away from the road to check. I did fine but was very intimidated when the straight road turned into a quick turn. These were quiet hilly country roads. SO...

I am not sure whats the best thing to do went a turn pops up. I got off the throttle but was afraid to downshift thinking that maybe I would get joted forward. Should I slowly use both brakes? I will say though I was leaning pretty good into my turns and I remembered to weight my outside leg just like you told me to Debi. :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Maureen

Hey Debi and all,

I rode a 150 mile adventure ride yesterday in New Hampshire. The New England Folliage was beautiful. The was quite a bit of pavement riding, going as fast as 40 mph, maybe faster. I was hesitant to look away from the road to check. I did fine but was very intimidated when the straight road turned into a quick turn. These were quiet hilly country roads. SO...

I am not sure whats the best thing to do went a turn pops up. I got off the throttle but was afraid to downshift thinking that maybe I would get joted forward. Should I slowly use both brakes? I will say though I was leaning pretty good into my turns and I remembered to weight my outside leg just like you told me to Debi. :worthy:

Thanks,

Maureen

Just remember that on the street your brakes work better :worthy: If your on Knobs take it easy in the turns and stay smooth on the throttle through the turn.

Use the road signs as a guide for the up coming turns as you would in your car and try and set up for the turn early (if this makes any since). Try to have your braking and down shifting done before you enter the turn as you are on the street and not the dirt/track. Also when you down shift don't dump the clutch, let it out smooth. If your in 5th and need to bang down to 2nd quickly hold the clutch in and bang down 3 gears and when you release the clutch do it slowly and kinda modulate it as this will keep the back wheel from hopping:thumbsup: Unless you have a slipper clutch then bang away hehe.

Here are a couple videos that might help

OK this is in the rain but you will see how I am smooth on the throttle in the turns and have my braking and shifting done before I enter the turn. (shhhh we were hitting 100mph in some sections :worthy:))

http://www.vimeo.com/9465340

This one you will hear more engine and where I let off and down shift and see some braking. Also I am looking way ahead, not right in front of me. (this one we hit 105mph and found icy patches which made me even more cautious)

http://www.vimeo.com/10021941

This one you can see how I set up for the turns... at about the 8min mark in this video but I was backing it in into these turns like on the track Shhhhh:busted: But you can get an idea of how you need to look ahead and set up for the turns

http://www.vimeo.com/22919514

It takes seat time to get comfy whether it's on the street or dirt :thumbsup:

Also remember it's about counter steering when cornering. Meaning if your turning left your pulling on the right bar or pushing on the left and vise versa on turning right. If you ride dirt style with your leg out like I do then weight the outside peg and put the crack of your hinney on the outside edge of the seat like you do in the dirt as this helps put the weight there with out pushing down:thumbsup:

Riding on the street you just need to be smooth and look ahead :ride:

Hope this helps :worthy:

OK this is in the rain but you will see how I am smooth on the throttle in the turns and have my braking and shifting done before I enter the turn. (shhhh we were hitting 100mph in some sections :thumbsup:))

http://www.vimeo.com/9465340

:

Holy Flippin Cow....that is sick... really, I feel nervous just watching you. Too fast girl....NO FEAR?

Also remember it's about counter steering when cornering. Meaning if your turning left your pulling on the right bar or pushing on the left and vise versa on turning right. If you ride dirt style with your leg out like I do then weight the outside peg and put the crack of your hinney on the outside edge of the seat like you do in the dirt as this helps put the weight there with out pushing down:thumbsup:

Riding on the street you just need to be smooth and look ahead :thumbsup:

Hope this helps :ride:

Thanks a bunch Debi....so of these four things all I was doing was weighting the outside peg...I will try the other three next time.

Maureen

Holy Flippin Cow....that is sick... really, I feel nervous just watching you. Too fast girl....NO FEAR?

Ohhhh plenty of fear that's for sure :ride:

I grew up riding in the dirt and when I was in High School my Dad bought me a Yamaha RD200 to ride to and from school and well that went to a RD400 then a GSXR750 but they scared the Hell out of me.

This SuperMoto thingy is like way more fun and puts me in somewhat of my Comfort zone but there are times where it's white knuckle time that's for sure.

But the more seat time you have on the street the more confident you will become just like in the dirt. But the streets IMHO are way Way WAY more dangerous than rippin in the dirt :thumbsup:

Just go out for some fun 20 or 30 mile street rides to build your confidence:thumbsup:

Here's a Vid from 2 yrs ago...... this was 7 days after I stuffed this bike under a guardrail on this same road (at the 7 min mark you will see where) and you can see I am going like way slower and more pre-cautious around the turns.

When I went down I was coming into the turn about 70 and got on the front brake to hard lifting the rear wheel and well I didn't want to die so I lowsided it and pushed the bike away and then I slammed into the bike when it was under the guardrail :worthy:.

http://www.vimeo.com/6775190

But you can see how you look ahead and set up for the turns

I hope you have been getting in some Tarmac riding and it's going well :thumbsup:

I found this old vid and we were going up to 105 on this road and you can kinda hear and see how I am getting all my braking and shifting done before the corners. We would have been pushing harder but well.... There was ice on the ground in sections and it was only 34 degrees :banghead:

Oh.... the last left hand turn in this vid myself and Josh (who is in front of me on this part) the year before went down and slide off into the trees due to his front end pushing then low siding and his bike took me out as I was on his out side in the turn trying to pass him:eek: so FYI... things do happen even when you are or think you are in control :applause:

https://vimeo.com/10021941

You are a mad woman....excitig to watch that ride. :banghead: No pavement for me...sticking to the safety of the woods. :thumbsup:

You are a mad woman....excitig to watch that ride. :thumbsup: No pavement for me...sticking to the safety of the woods. :)

Mad??? me?? NEVAAAAAA hehe..... This is the road I stuffed my bike under the Guardrail the week before so I was well... riding timid through here and at the 7 min mark or so is where I stuffed it under. I got away from the bike but then slide into the bike and really stuffed it under :ride: Took a bit of time to get it unstuck :lame: But I limped away with only a sprained left ankle :banghead:

https://vimeo.com/6775190

So when ya coming out to ride the roads with me/us???? :applause: