Sign in to follow this  

Let's see some pics of helmet radio headsets installed

Really only use it snowmobiling. I do have the radio in my pack riding dirt but have yet to need it on a ride. Turn the volume up to about 80% and it's loud enough I can hear it squawk over the sled's engine. Ideally I'd like to go bluetooth, pair it to the radio with a PTT key and use that on the sled, pair it to a phone/ipod/etc for music on the moto.

Speaker/mic on the chest strap on my pack.

DSC05772.jpg

Yaesu/VS FT60.

DSC00068.jpg

I don't have a pic, but I recently wired my helmet and my buddy and I can talk to each other. Bought the kit at Rugged Radios. Was about $200, but good quality. It also has a 3.5 jack for ipod, etc. but I haven't used it yet. I wired the bright finger switch on my KTM EXc to be the PTT, so I never have to tak emy hands off the bars. Works great!!!

That's the thing, you can find these radios for $50/pair, but you want a couple of wires to tiny speakers in a helmet? That's gonna cost you double that price for a single piece.

We bought "security style" VOX headsets off eBay (I think?) which have a clear tube to single ear bud that you put on before your helmet and a throat mic. It's not the prettiest set up, but it's way cheaper than the helmet specific ones and there's no holes to drill. Since they're completely separate, we leave them behind except when we expect to use them.

Unfortunately, the radios are only good for a mile or two deep in the woods and you better be on the same side of the mountain.

My experience with throat mics is that they really suck until you drop $300+ on a good tactical mic. Those usually only interface with professional radios too, so ... yeah... adds up fast.

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but this is what I use. It's the Scala G4 communicator.

It uses bluetooth technology and you can talk up to 3 other riders, hook up your phone and MP3 player. I have an Iphone so it can play music from it and take calls. I'm really impressed with it. You have to have the mic pretty much touch your lips though.

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

You can see the wires that go behind the padding to the speakers that are velcro'd in. I haven't used another helmet radio, so I don't know what else to compare it to.

The one downside of it is, if you are going through mountains, the reception sucks. It says one mile, but that is unobstructed line of sight. It works well for me in the desert.

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but this is what I use. It's the Scala G4 communicator.

It uses bluetooth technology and you can talk up to 3 other riders, hook up your phone and MP3 player. I have an Iphone so it can play music from it and take calls. I'm really impressed with it. You have to have the mic pretty much touch your lips though.

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

You can see the wires that go behind the padding to the speakers that are velcro'd in. I haven't used another helmet radio, so I don't know what else to compare it to.

The one downside of it is, if you are going through mountains, the reception sucks. It says one mile, but that is unobstructed line of sight. It works well for me in the desert.

might i be so bold as to ask u what kind of $$$ would a person have to invest in a setup like that? (minus the iphone)

I don't have a pic, but I recently wired my helmet and my buddy and I can talk to each other. Bought the kit at Rugged Radios. Was about $200, but good quality. It also has a 3.5 jack for ipod, etc. but I haven't used it yet. I wired the bright finger switch on my KTM EXc to be the PTT, so I never have to tak emy hands off the bars. Works great!!!

It too just picked up the Rugged Radios helmet kit...

Where do you carry your radio? in a pack, behind the number plate, etc

I have been debating whether to mount PTT on bars or on my pack strap... both have their advantages.

Hadn't planned on using the 3.5 ipod connect but it is a nice feature.

Disco,

Just curious, Do you have to have cell signal for your system to work?

My experience with throat mics is that they really suck until you drop $300+ on a good tactical mic. Those usually only interface with professional radios too, so ... yeah... adds up fast.
For what we paid, I was actually amazed at how well it worked. I just couldn't see paying almost a grand just to talk to the kids/gf without stopping. Still, to make sure everything is OK, either the kids follow mom and I bring up the rear or the other way around. Even with a radio, an unconscious rider isn't going to actively bring attention to themselves.

It too just picked up the Rugged Radios helmet kit...

Where do you carry your radio? in a pack, behind the number plate, etc

I have been debating whether to mount PTT on bars or on my pack strap... both have their advantages.

Hadn't planned on using the 3.5 ipod connect but it is a nice feature.

I keep the radio in my pack. Once I set the channel I haven't had to touch it, so the pack keeps it out of the way.

Here's what I did....I bought the kit with the Velcro PTT thinking I would want it on my pack. My buddy and I both tried it and found that we had to slow down or wait for a smooth area to talk/respond, so I ordered just the plug for the PTT with a short 12" wire from rugged. Was like $20, and wired it to the flash button which is right in front of my left index finger. They said other guys have wired it to the horn button. It's much easier to use and I don't notice the wire going to the bike when I ride. Since I still have the Velcro PTT, I keep it on my pack strap. Good back up and if I have a bad off, I can radio my buddy or help.

I keep the radio in my pack. Once I set the channel I haven't had to touch it, so the pack keeps it out of the way.

Here's what I did....I bought the kit with the Velcro PTT thinking I would want it on my pack. My buddy and I both tried it and found that we had to slow down or wait for a smooth area to talk/respond, so I ordered just the plug for the PTT with a short 12" wire from rugged. Was like $20, and wired it to the flash button which is right in front of my left index finger. They said other guys have wired it to the horn button. It's much easier to use and I don't notice the wire going to the bike when I ride. Since I still have the Velcro PTT, I keep it on my pack strap. Good back up and if I have a bad off, I can radio my buddy or help.

Thanks. I'm gonna try the bar mount Ptt.

Don't stop there guys keep the pictures and info coming!

Scala Rider line installed on multiple type's of helmets. If you have any questions on a specific mount or on your application feel free to message me with any questoins. Thanks alot!!

Arai RX-Q with Scala Rider G4 w/corded mic

PA170354.jpg

Speaker's Velcro's onto cheekpad

PA170353.jpg

Microphone Velcro's to inside of chin bar

PA170355.jpg

G4 Clamps onto outside shell

PA170357.jpg

Troy Lee SE2 History Helmet w/Scala Rider G4 standard boom

PA170358.jpg

G4 mounts with adhesive bracket - boom tucks up under chin bar

PA170360.jpg