Sign in to follow this  

07 KX250 really sloppy shift lever

On the final lap of a race yesterday the bike gets stuck in 3rd gear. After finishing I am looking to see what the problem might have been and notice that the shift lever is super sloppy up and down. At first i thought that the pinch bolt came loose and it was just slipping on the splines. That is not the case.

With the bike not running I can shift though all the gears 1-5 and back down just rocking the bike back and forth and clicking the shift lever. The problem is the lever has about 3" of swing on both directions before it clicks into a gear.

I'm hoping that it's just a spring or broke part on the right side cover and nothing that involves splitting the cases. If anyone has any ideas of what the problem might be, please share your ideas.

I haven't has a chance to take of the right side cover yet so it could become very obvious as soon as I do that.

sounds like the spring on the shift shaft popped off or broke. Dont ride again till you fix it or CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH!

Ok so got the bike apart and found the broken piece. It's the bolt that is labeled Ref. Crankcase in the picture below. The stud on the end of the bolt that goes though the square window on the shift shaft broke right off. Is this common? How does something like this happen?

I've just never seen or heard of this problem before.

45592.png

I've never heard of that either. But there's always a first time for anything. Unfortunately, it was just bad luck and a faulty part.

Ok so got the bike apart and found the broken piece. It's the bolt that is labeled Ref. Crankcase in the picture below. The stud on the end of the bolt that goes though the square window on the shift shaft broke right off. Is this common? How does something like this happen?

I've just never seen or heard of this problem before.

45592.png

there are 2 that say ref crank i have the same problem with mine which of the 2 do you mean?