Sign in to follow this  

140 miles with the TM40 on my DR650

Well I made it exactly to 141.2 miles (stock tank) until I had to switch to reserve on my new TM40 carb. From there I went directly to the gas station and put 2.76 gallons into her. It worked out to just above 51mpg on my 2006 DR650. Why am I telling you all this; well of course to brag, but seriously I wanted to see if I could match or get close to matching my best mpg of my BST40 (which was shimmed and snorkle removed). I got pretty close. My best mpg of my BST was about 54mpg. Now on both of those runs I babied the bike the best I could. I rode frontage roads, held back on the wheelies, smooth throttle (hard to do on the TM40), kept her under 70mph, etc. I did have one run with my TM40 that got closed to 53mpg but I don't have the numbers to prove it. Currently the only difference between my bike with the BST40 and now with the TM40 is that I have a DG aftermarket slip on, open air box, twin air filter, JC Whitney fender mounted case, and a slipstreamer S-06 windscreen. My trip back and forth to work helped my consistency in my test.

I guess I was just trying to prove to myself that dropping $450 dollars on the carb was justified in that I could still manage to enjoy the economy of my 650 while having the throttle response that a big bore 650 should have. You know have my cake and eat it to! Remember though that this cake cost $450! I think Procycle said it recently that either carb should produce reasonable close mpg, and they are right! I think if I fiddled around with the jetting on my TM40 I could eak out a 1-2 more mpg, but it runs sooo good right now that I don't dare mess with it. After putting the carb on it felt like I went to fuel injection! The throttle response was instantaneous. I am now able to roost my neighbor's dog as it chases me down my gravel driveway on the way to and from work everyday. That gives me nothing but pure joy. The old BST couldn't quite muster that as effectively. Plus I felt that I was mixing the gearbox more to avoid that low rpm hammer load put on the engine. Did it give my DR loads more hp and torque? No probably not. Maybe my DG slip on helped some there but not much. What I did get was great throttle response, smoother running engine, no surging, and pretty darn close mpg. Anyway it's Tuesday, and I know you all needed something more to read about! Ha!

I have had my TM40 on my 06 for around 1000 miles. I just calculated the mileage for the first time yesterday. 49 MPG, and that included a 95 miles trip with indicated speeds 0f 70-85mph whenever possible.

I only calculated the mileage with the BST40 once, and that was on the first tank when I got the bike in June. 53mpg on that tank.

Sounds very comparable to what I'm getting. I, too, have had my TM40 for around 1000miles (total miles on my 2006 is 2800). I'm in the nosebleed section of New Mexico at about 6700'. Not sure that makes any difference in mpg. But, again, very impressed with this new carb!!

I get 46-49 mpg on my '06 DR650 with the TM40. Quit babying that thing and twist the throttle. That is what I bought the TM for.

I only get about 45 MPG with my TM40 and that's on pavement.

Must be that 15% increased rate throttle tube I picked up from Procycle......

Wow, you guys are getting some damn good numbers there. I seem to hit reserve right around 100 miles. The other day I stalled while at a red light at 91 mile mark. I do a lot of stop and go riding, plus many times there are some dirt miles mixed in. Maybe I'll try and ride a little conservative and stay on the pavement for one whole tank.

Since I had a friend who rides a newer Husky 510 try out my bike last weekend and he was surprised by the power the bike had I don't think I'll mess with it. He's running a 14-50 sprocket combo on his husky and I'm still running the 15-42 combo. I'm looking forward to putting a 14 tooth up front.