What's the record for the longest lasting battery?

I bought my current one almost 8 years ago and she still cranking just fine.? I can't remember what brand it is but I remember that it isn't a big brand name battery.

I tend to charge with an optimate the night before I'm planning to use her and the rest of the time she just sits - I don't leave the charger hooked up as a tender.

Mine's an E so it is kinder on the battery during storage (very low leakage current - no LCD dash), but harder when cranking.

I also run a sat nav most of the time and have not done any 'free power mods' as I have never had an issue with battery charge.

She a 2000 model with 7500 miles on the clock and is only used about once or twice a month.

Has anyone got longer out of their battery?

Many of the early bikes had a GS brand battery that I did like better than Yuasa although I think they are made by the same company. I still have my GS battery and keep it charged but it has not been in the motorcycle since 2006 and is not reliable for starting.

Just swapped out the stick battery in my 02 e. I never trickle charge, just crank and go.

What happened to make you change the previous one?

Could you tell it was getting weak?

it has not been in the motorcycle since 2006 and is not reliable for starting.

How does that manifest itself?

What I trying to gauge now is when to replacement before it lets me down.

Is there any test I should be doing, for example not topping it up the night before (every other ride) just to see if it's strong enough to start the bike on it's previous stored charge only.

• 1 month later...

I bought another battery in the end, a nice one came up on ebay (less than a year old) so I thought I'd snap it up.

It's a BOSCH with 20% more cranking power apparently...?

anyway, I charged the Bosch (and my old one) up and did some cranking tests.

In the bike, kill switch off, DVM strapped to battery and the three long cranking sessions each - just to see what would happen.

Results were.

8 year old battery - 10.8 volts, 10.7 volts 10.6 volts.

It was getting weaker each crank.

Bosch battery - 11.2 volts, 11.3 volts, 11.3 volts.

Seemed to get stronger once it had warmed up and no sign of diminished operation in that short test.

So I think I'll use the old battery for this winter then swap to Bosch in spring/summer.:banghead:

next - the free power mod as my head light takes more than the R/R can put through those wires so it is flattening my battery after prolonged use..?

Edited by DrzDick

I had an old battery up till 2 years ago. The battery went real slow. It seemed as long as it had enough current to pop the solenoid it had enough current to turn the stock engine. So I had plenty of time to order the battery and get it in the mail.

OEM '02 S battery, always on a BT when not in use, worked fine when I sold the bike last year, 9 years old. Half of it's life was in Sunny southern CA, the other half in hot in the summer, cold in the winter Colorado.

Had a '97 TL1000 with an 8 year old Yuasa battery in it when I sold it, that was also working fine, and that bike had it's auto decompressors removed (they fail sometimes in the early TLs) so it was not easy on batteries. The TL originally came with a Furikawa battery, that POS died in 1 year.?

Yuasa batteries and a battery tender/Optimate are a good combo!

When I sold my 2000 DRZ 400E after 9 years it still had the original battery and it still worked as good as the day it was purchased. However it lived on a trickle charger when not ridden and the bike was kept in the garage whenever not ridden. And living in NorCal provided a nicer climate than many of you have. I have no idea how long that battery would have lasted ... for all I know it still is doing fine. BTW, my son's 2001 DRZ 400E is still on its original battery so it's 10 years old (and yes, it lives on a trickle charger when not ridden).