Sign in to follow this  

Best mods for 10+ yz250f's?

I am considering purchasing a 2010 yz250f with 15hrs on it, the only thing I am concerned about is the "lack of top end" I keep hearing about. I have tested one out on the track and it is for sure noticable (no where near my 09 rmz). I like to rev my bikes, my question is, what is the best mods for the bike to give it more mid-top end? I have heard pipe and cams, I am nervous about the cam thing, how will that affect reliability and how much does it really help?

Anything will help

I dont know how its going to work out but i just got a 285 kit for mine, stroker crank&+3mm piston, with stage 2 hotcams. When i tear into it to put that in i will also be having the head ported and polished and having the carb bored. I already have a drd pipe on it which with the right jetting really seemed to uncork it. I am hoping with this combo it will be the fastest lites bike on the line. But also mind you i am a vet rider, and most of the other racers have 450s. I just wanted to try out this whole 30lbs less thing. But i have a feeling once its build it will be about the same hp per pound as a stock 450.

Well I race the 250b class and I am a poor college kid so money is an issue. As far as the. Drd pipe goes how was that as far as performance gains? I was hoping to only have to put a pipe on it and maybe stage 2 cam

It was better I think its like a 1.5 hp gain in the mid range. Cams are not going to help you that much it thats all your going to do. You can get a 269deal kit for like 450a bones thhat would help alot more than cams for the same price.

But I couldnt race in the 250 class with that kit lol

eh... the cylinders have no cc markings on them. Unfortunally if you are not going to bump displacement its going to cost alot to get more HP. I would just do a pipe and ride it wide open.

pipe and gearing make sure you lube everything really well if you really want to go the extra mile as you lose something like 15hp to friction

porting would help make the bike better in the upper rpms but you have to tell the person porting it where you want the power. I think the cams would help, they helped me i know that. As far as reliability they are just as good as stock. I've had my hotcams in for about 100 hours with no problems so far.

I also have a Dr. D exhaust but I dont notice any effects from it really. Exhaust dont seem to do much for me, just make it sound faster than its actually going lol