Sign in to follow this  

removing head on 87 xl600

You take a bunch of bolts out.... :worthy:

You could also use the forums search feature to get the answer. 👍 Noobs.... :worthy:

Start by reading the stcky posts(the ones on the top). :worthy:

Here's a link to a tread from a few days ago that has the links to a free XL600R factory service manual. :worthy:

:ride:

Once the engine is out remove the rocker box ( or valve cover ) remove the the pin holding the chain tensioner now pull the tensioner shaft (on side of head, looks like a 1/2 inch pin with a tab you can grab with a pliers). lift tensioner out. Now remove two bolts from cam sprocket and remove sprocket, now work cam out by turning and pulling it out the chain side.

Thats the easy part, putting the tensioner back in is a trick all its own, but we will worry about that when time comes.

I think that the XL required the engine to be removed from the frame for any top end work.

Yea, I don't remember for the XL, but the 83-84 XR500 takes several hands and a little magic to get in or out of the frame. Absolutely impossible to get the top end open in frame. The 85 up XR frame is about 3/4" taller to fix that problem.

I know the 86 xl6 is remove the engine, you my be able to let it drop in frame enough if you pull all the bolts, but if you've gone that far, just pull it

if the head is coming off, you may want to heli-coil the threads on any bolt holes that don't look perfect.

mine had 1/2 of them looking questionable. two were "trashed".