Sign in to follow this  

KLX 110 143 kit valve adjustment

hey guys, i got my 143 on like a month ago. i rhode it just a few times.... maybe an hour total... then it sat for a bit and when i next started it, the valves were pretty loud.....

now when i go to adjust them, i put it at TDC (when the T lines up with the tic mark) and but only the exhaust valve is free... the intake is tight until i rotate the engine a little bit. but anyways, i adjust them both to about 0.08mm since the range is 0.04-0.08mm. i put it back together and it was still really loud....

second guessing myself, i readjusted them again to about 0.06mm, right in the middle of 0.04 and 0.08.... i put it back together and it was still really loud and was stuck at full throttle! this is probably just a stuck throttle cable since i had to take the carb hose clamp off to get at the top valve, but im not positive, and didnt examine as i was a bit annoyed.

any help is much appreciated. the bike is street legal and im dying to go for a rip!👍

There is only one exhaust valve and one intake. The intake I believe shoudl be around .002 and the exhaust around .004. Put it at TDC. The rocker arms should move a tad over the valve signifiying freeplay. If your setting them at .04 you are waaaayyyy too large. Set the valves as stated and you should be good.

i got the gas to not stick, the throttle cable was stuck where it enters the carb...

then i ran the bike. it sounded good and i took it for a ride. thanks for the help

There is only one exhaust valve and one intake. The intake I believe shoudl be around .002 and the exhaust around .004. Put it at TDC. The rocker arms should move a tad over the valve signifiying freeplay. If your setting them at .04 you are waaaayyyy too large. Set the valves as stated and you should be good.

quick question,

so you are saying that the exhaust clearance should be twice the size of the intake clearance?? the service manual says they should be exactly the same. it says .04-.08mm (.0016-.003inches).

(you said intake at .002in and exhaust at .004in)

just wondering how sure you were of that? im just wondering because i did what the manual said and im still getting noise on i think just one valve

I've always ran them at .002 for intakes and .004 for exhaust. Its not hurting much to run them at your setup. Exhaust clearances are generally always larger than intakes.