Sign in to follow this  

Oil

Hey guys, i recently went on a trip to west virginia. One of the days i rode pretty much non stop from 9:00-9:00. While riding i noticed a squeaking noise in my engine. When i checked the oil the dipstick was dry. Long story short i had little to no oil.

There was no oil residue around the engine.

So my question is, is it a possibility that the bike can burn this much oil in 12:00 hurs of riding?

As a result of this oil shortage a ticking noise has appeared. Any ideas on what this could be? The engine starts and runs well.

Any oil marks on the bottom of the case or around the oil filter? It could be burning a small amount of oil and you not noticing. The first thing to check for oil starvation is the head. The cam will show wear from lack of oil.

i could see it... ill usually go through half a dipstick in 50mi on the track.... takes about 100 -120mi on the trail to do the same.

with such a small skirt on the pistons in these 250x's they do tend to burn a lil oil, especially seems as how we are only playing with 7/10ths of a quart of oil.