Sign in to follow this  

Dr. Mark - question on wrist pain

Dr. Mark,

In Mar, 2009, I broke both my Ulna and Radius. Mid-shaft, completely in half. I had both plated back together. That November, I had the plate removed from the Ulna (it was bulky). The surgeon was scared to go after the Radius plate saying there was a risk of hurting the Radial nerve? So, left that plate in. Since the injury, i have been having increasing wrist pain/soreness. In January 2011, I went to a different dr. He x-rayed both of my wrists, and the end of my Radius is about 1/4" shorter than what it is in the good arm. The radius had been badly broken, with both main pieces plated, and a center triangular chunk toe-nailed in place. And, looking at my arms/hands, you can see this crookedness / difference. This dr. told me that if in the future the pain got too bad, the surgery would be to basically cut 1/4" out of the Ulna and plate it back together.

What are your thoughts ?

Thank you,

Jeff

Post the xray. We are like the two blind men trying to describe an elephant.

Here is a picture i took of the x-ray with my cell phone. Hope this shows enough. Thanks !

Image0319.jpg

And here was the original repair. You can see the Radius had a big chunk broke out that was toe-nailed back in.

P4030003.jpg